Education Development Center (EDC)
Systems Administrator – USAID Let’s Read Zambia (FIXED TERM CONSULTANCY)
EDUCATION DEVELOPMENT CENTER (EDC)
Education Development Center (EDC) is a global nonprofit that advances lasting solutions to improve education, promote health, and expand economic opportunity. Since 1958, we have been a leader in designing, implementing, and evaluating powerful and innovative programs in more than 80 countries around the world.
EDC promotes equity and access to high quality education and health services and products that contribute to thriving communities where people from diverse backgrounds learn, live, and work together. We support an inclusive workplace culture that embraces many perspectives and broadens our understanding of the communities we serve, enhancing and enriching our work.
EDC is committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion in the workplace.
The USAID Let’s Read Zambia project is a 6-year project funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) ending on January 6th 2025 and implemented by the Education Development Center (EDC). USAID Let’s Read Zambia works to improve reading outcomes for children attending pre-primary (kindergarten) through to Grades 3 and provide professional development for teachers to support reading interventions in Zambian public and community schools.
As a part of project implementation, USAID Let’s Read has developed the enhanced performance tracking system (ePTS) a custom web application for monitoring learner performance in literacy across all target schools, sourced from “https://github.com/edc-it/ePTS”. The ePTS is to be hosted and deployed locally in Zambia at the Ministry of Education (MoE).
In anticipation of the expected support to the MoE, we are therefore seeking a highly skilled Systems Administrator to conduct:
- a comprehensive assessment and validation of MoE’s server infrastructure, network configuration, and security measures, ensuring they meet the requirements for deploying the ePTS application securely and efficiently; and
- work closely with the Ministry of Education ICT Directorate to set up the hosting servers and deploy the ePTS.
As a short-term Consultant, the Systems Administrator will play a critical role in working with the MoE ICT Directorate in setting up the ePTS servers; and deploying the ePTS in a secure way to ensure it functions efficiently. You will also provide recommendations for updated policies, management guidelines and required training for the MoE ICT Directorate staff to manage the ePTS. The consultant will need to perform the following tasks:
- Verify and validate existing MoE Infrastructure
- Configure and test servers:
- ePTS web application server
- ePTS database server
- ePTS web application server for public dashboard
- Power BI gateway software for automatic dashboard refresh
- Review existing relevant IT policies, guidelines, procedures, licenses available for required software products and staff knowledge/skills.
- Generate reports and recommendations.
The candidate for the position of Systems Administrator (Consultant) shall have at a minimum the following qualifications:
Bachelor’s degree in computer science, Information Technology, or related field
Skills and Experience:
- Minimum 6 years of proven experience as a Systems Administrator in IT or similar role, specializing in Windows Server, Microsoft SQL Server, network security/firewall, and DMZ configurations.
- Demonstrated experience in setting up similar environments, preferably within government or large-scale settings.
- Relevant certifications and qualifications in server management, network security, and database administration.
- Strong knowledge of various operating systems (e.g., Windows, Linux) and networking concepts.
- Experience with virtualization, cloud services, and system security.
- Proficiency in system monitoring tools and troubleshooting techniques.
- Excellent problem-solving and communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced environment.
- Relevant certifications (e.g. Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator/Engineer (MCSA/MSCE), CompTIA Network+, Cisco Certified Network Professional Security, or other Cyber security certifications ) are a plus.
Fluency in English is required.
Location of the Assignment
The location of the assignment will be in Lusaka (Zambia). The consultant will be expected to arrange his/her own accommodation and transport.
- Experience: Candidates will be assessed based on the number of years of relevant experience and expertise relating to the assignment.
- Qualifications and Education.
- Skills and Competencies: Skills and competencies relating to the assignment.
Local Applicants and encouraged.
Job Closing Date: January 29
Due to the volume of applications submitted, only finalists will be notified. No phone calls, please.
EDC is committed to enhancing the diversity of its workforce and ensuring an equitable and highly inclusive work environment. EDC is a smoke-free workplace, and offers a supportive work environment, competitive salary, and excellent benefits. Women, minorities, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Note: EDC doesn’t solicit for money from applicants at any level of the recruitment & selection process.