Lubambe Copper Mine
Lubambe Copper Mine is located within the Greater Konkola Area of the Zambian Copperbelt and consists of a large – scale mining license covering an area of approximately 228 square kilometres. Completed and commissioned in 2012, Lubambe is an underground operation supported by a shaft and decline access with a 2.5 million tonne per annum capacity ore concentrator. The mine’s current depth is 450meters producing a high-grade copper concentrate which is then treated at Zambian smelters. The mine currently employs 1, 125 direct employees, a further 800 contractors. It places the highest priority on safety with a world class safety system. Supporting local communities and suppliers is a key business focus of the mine. EMR Capital owns an 80% controlling interest in Lubambe while ZCCM-IH owns 20%.
The Mine seeks to employ an experienced and qualified individual in the following position:
Job Title: Senior Geotechnical Engineer (x1)
This position reports to the Technical Services Manager
Core Purpose of the Position
To co-ordinate all Geotechnical activities and provide effective and quality services/support expertise to the mining operations, in order to achieve desired goals and ensure sustainable short- and long-term plans in operations
Key Performance Areas/Indicators (KPA/Is):
- Coordinate and manage the SHE policies and procedures in area of responsibility as well as compliance to statutory requirements.
- Manage and develop a team of geotechnical engineers, develop the geotechnical team through an effective programme of skills transfer, mentorship and appropriate training.
- Coordinate and communicate effectively with other geotechnical, operational, support and managerial teams.
- Oversee and review the completion of all geotechnical related statutory monitoring and reporting requirements.
- Provide geotechnical guidance and input into mine planning.
- Develop the medium to long term geotechnical plan aligned with business objectives, best practice and the production plan.
- Formulate ground control management strategies.
- Contribute to review, audit and sign off geotechnical databases and models.
- Review annual and LOM plans to advise on the safest mining sequence using numerical modelling.
- Coordinate and review geotechnical design and analysis for subsurface excavations and underground structures.
- Develop ground support systems using engineered rock mechanic principles.
- Complete performance analysis, using various geotechnical engineering software for surface excavations and underground mine structures.
- Implement geotechnical systems and procedures in the operation.
- Manage QA/QC programmes for ground control systems and ensure any non-compliances are addressed appropriately and in a timely manner.
- Ensure all fall of ground occurrences and support failures are thoroughly investigated, documented and that corrective actions are implemented.
Academic Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor of Engineering in Mining Engineering/BSc Mining obtained from a recognised institution.
- Member of the Engineering Registration Board of Zambia Registered (R.Eng).
- Member of Engineering Institute of Zambia (P.Eng).
- Minimum of 5 years work experience in Geotechnical/Rock Mechanics in underground mining operations.
- Proficient in Geotechnical Engineering software such as Map3D, Examine2D, Unwedge, Gem4D, Dips.
- Knowledge of Surface Subsidence Monitoring (Tremble 4D/InSAR Satellite Monitoring etc) will be added advantage.
Applicants who meet the above requirements are invited to send their Curriculum Vitae in MS word format to [email protected]. Please indicate the job title of the job you are applying for in the subject line of your e-mail. The closing date for receipt of applications is Wednesday 7th April, 2021.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.