At First Quantum, we free the talent of our people by taking a very different approach which is underpinned by a very different, very definite culture – the “First Quantum Way”.
Working with us is not like working anywhere else, which is why we recruit people who will take a bolder, smarter approach to spot opportunities, solve problems and deliver results.
Our culture is all about encouraging you to think independently and to challenge convention to deliver the best result. That’s how we continue to achieve extraordinary things in extraordinary locations.
Overall Job Purpose
The Senior Engineer, Mine Optimisation is responsible for optimising mining operations in order to improve productivity, costs and safety on the mine. The core purpose of the Optimisation section is to support management with information that enhances intelligent decision making to ensure safe and cost effective operations. The Optimisation section identifies opportunities and inefficiencies in the mining operations through field observation and use of data analytics and accurate reporting.
Specific Job Responsibility
The role is responsible for analysing the Mining Operations as a whole in order to identify optimisation opportunities in line with the company objectives and strategy.
- Development and implementation of management information systems/dashboards.
- Identifying business improvement opportunities through analysis of information.
- Liaise with all key Mining Operations section heads and other stakeholders to identify business improvement projects to be implemented.
- Implementation and monitoring of identified projects in collaboration with project owners and management.
- Analysis and review of financial budget with other Managers/ Superintendents to aid in ensuring the most effective and efficient business model is followed.
- Provides analytical and forecasting guidance to all levels of management regarding business performance.
- Analysis and recommendations regarding the impact of changes to the prevailing operations model
- Utilisation of technology and data analysis to support mine site safety.
- Development of software applications to improve business data collection and information generation.
- Interact with and direct system vendors to provide and support solution to mine site optimisation and production analysis.
- Review of mining processes to identify and develop targeted projects to improve efficiencies.
- Develop, implement and audit continuous Drill & Blast, Load and Haul, haul road construction and maintenance, ancillary equipment, mine maintenance, asset reliability and mine infrastructure development systems, technology developments, QAQC programs, data analysis and information generation.
- Develop systems & reporting tools to drive team & individual accountability and preparation of performance management information for use in employee development programs.
- Field observations to identify gaps in mining best practices and intervention to achieve objectives.
- Hourly, Shift, Daily, Weekly and Monthly reporting of various performance KPIs.
- Real-time performance metrics dashboard generation and system integrity control.
- Administer and review of the production activities of projects in order to optimize resources, minimize costs and maintain quality standards.
- To perform assigned tasks and provide reasonable assurance as to the reliability and integrity of information; ensure compliance with policies, processes, management guidelines, safeguarding of company assets, economic use of resources, accomplishment of project objectives, risk management and best practice processes.
- To tour and inspect the mine to detect and resolve production, equipment maintenance, safety, atmospheric, and personnel problems.
- Drive the continuous improvement of operations in tight collaboration with the Technical, Maintenance, Production and Infrastructure departments.
- Identify and recommend initiatives aimed at eliminating waste, improve productivity and reduce operating costs within scope.
- Specific project/ event investigations as required.
- Support and participate in sub-functional/ departmental change.
- Implement successful change initiatives, plan and ensure optimal resource utilization within designated area
- Capital project scoping, budgeting, adjudication and justifications.
- Cost-Benefit analysis of new resources or system implementations.
- Performance KPI analysis of mine fleet OEE and cost reviews.
- Contractor overview on safety, cost and production performance.
- Spearhead the development and management of the section’s operational budget.
- Consolidation of budget and forecasts for production and costs.
- Support the operation to meet its production budget
Management People / Development:
- Allocate resources wisely to ensure most effective use of skills and materials are available to achieve the expected business performance, including the development of skills.
- Lead, strengthen and develop the operations team.
- Set and maintain a culture of excellence by ensuring appropriate best practices, systems, processes and technologies are in place to enable and optimization of work.
- To support Safety Management programs and regulatory compliance.
Job Specific Competencies
- Power BI
- Data analytics
- Drill and Blast practical experience
- Load & Haul practical experience
- Haul road construction experience
Key Job Attributes
- Commitment to SHEC performance
- Good leadership and motivational skills
- Strong drive and personal sense of ownership and accountability
- Strong ability to build working relations, including a balance of assertiveness and cooperation
- Excellent cognitive and analytical skills
- Affinity to perform technical research and development
- Ability to understand internal consumer needs and limitations, and convert this into a user-friendly system
- Ability to work autonomously and maintain self-discipline under pressure
- Be diligent and thorough in approach
- Be enthusiastic and pro-active in manner
- Computer fluency is a must
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment
- English language fluency
Experience Required to Perform in This Job
- 10 -15 years of Mining working experience at a senior level.
- Must have strong operational, management, implementation and interpersonal skills and be culturally aware.
- He/she must possess strong leadership skills and be a team player.
- Must be a collaborative team builder with the ability to build and nurture a productive team.
- Must have business & financial acumen and be capable of understanding how to capitalize on growth opportunities.
- The individual must be an effective, confident communicator who can present ideas in a concise and organized manner.
- Must be able to demonstrate interpersonal flexibility, initiative, innovation, perseverance and integrity.
- The ability to work with a sense of urgency, in a professional and enthusiastic manner with a positive participative attitude toward company goals and objectives.
- BSc Mining Engineering or Mechanical Engineering
- Must be holder of a current Mining & Blasting certificate
- Member of EIZ
- Valid Driver’s Licence
- Knowledge of Excel, SQL, PowerBI required.
To apply for this job please visit firstquantum.wd3.myworkdayjobs.com.