JOB TITLE: Senior Development Manager
REPORTING TO: President
ABOUT HEALTHY LEARNERS
Healthy Learners is an award-winning non-profit organization committed to improving the health of children in Zambia and beyond. We partner directly with the government and local communities so that school children can stay healthy, learn effectively and have a brighter future. Healthy Learners was the inaugural winner of the 2021 Duke F.M. Kirby Prize for Scaling Social Impact and the UBS Optimus Foundation COVID-19 Relief Prize and has seen strong, steady growth in philanthropic support over time.
School-aged children in low resource settings suffer from a high burden of disease and often lack access to basic healthcare, which causes otherwise preventable and curable illnesses to frequently result in life-long health challenges or disability. In the short term, these illnesses contribute to school absenteeism, poor academic performance, and high drop-out rates. In the long term, they undermine physical, cognitive, and emotional development and hinder economic prosperity.
Healthy Learners is bridging this gap in Zambia through our unique model of school-based community health. By training teachers to be community health workers and making schools entry points into the public healthcare system, children now receive medical attention in substantially greater numbers, improving health outcomes and reducing absenteeism. We currently serve more than 425,000 students and are working with the Zambian government to scale the program nationally to serve 1 million children over the next three years.
Healthy Learners is built on a solid foundation of strong operations, a capable team and a robust culture. As we prepare to enter an exciting period of accelerated growth, we are looking for an experienced and passionate Senior Development Manager to help build out our new Development Department and drive our fundraising as we scale in Zambia and beyond. The candidate will work closely with the President and other members of senior management team to build on our momentum and execute our fundraising growth plan.
The Senior Development Manager will have overall responsibility of the organization’s business development functions. The successful candidate will work closely with the President to design and implement a fundraising strategy, secure new funding, and establish and maintain strong relationships with donors. S/he will work with and support the President to drive fundraising activities, build a high functioning development team, and secure a sustainable financial future for Healthy Learners.
S/he will lead the development of grant proposals, renewals, and reports, and should be an exceptional writer. As a hands on position, the successful candidate should be excited to join the fast-pace environment of a rapidly growing and mission driven organization.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Strategy & System Strengthening
- Work with the President to develop, execute, and monitor annual and multi-year development plans.
- Identify and frame opportunities for growth, matching program needs with the interests of potential donors;
- Identify areas for improvement within the Development Department, make recommendations, and develop a strategy
- Work with the President to engage the Board of Directors in setting and implementing the annual development plan, including a strategy for the development committee
- Develop, implement, and monitor systems, policies, and procedures necessary for the smooth operation of the proposal development process. Proposal Development & Resource Mobilization Lead the proposal development process, which includes, but is not limited to, researching, writing, and reviewing of proposals, concept notes and applications for existing and prospective donors. Oversee the production of high quality, innovative, and responsive proposals, concept papers, and applications for new programs and for the extension of current projects.
- Work with the President to identify and develop a strong donor pipeline.
- Work with the Development Associate and consultants to oversee the design and development of our annual report, quarterly reports, and other communication materials that seek to amplify Healthy Learners’ brand visibility and effectively articulate our mission, vision and strategy. Grants Management & Donor Stewardship
- Work with the President to cultivate and maintain strong relationships with existing and potential donors through regular correspondence, reports, and updates.
- Ensure individualized stewardship plans are developed and implemented for all major donors.
- Oversee the renewal processes with existing donors; lead development of donor reports and ensure compliance with all donor requirements.
- Ensure timely and effective follow-up on all meetings and correspondences with current and prospective donors.
- Act as organizational focal point for grants/grant management—advising on internal and donor policies, ensuring compliance with requisite regulations/policies, and identifying opportunities for growth and process improvements. Team Management
- Work with the President to build and maintain an effective and dynamic development team.
- Supervise the Development Associate and consultants to ensure quality and timely execution of activities;
- Develop and monitor Key Performance Indicators to measure fundraising goals;
- Troubleshoots issues within Business Development and across all Departments.
- Ensures team is supported, feels valued and is satisfied/thriving in their role. Supports the personal development of team
- Promotes our mission, values, strategy, brand, and short- and long-term objectives, externally and internally.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s Degree in relevant discipline. A Masters’ degree is preferred but not required.
- At least six (6) years of business development experience in international development.
- Proven successful track record in securing funding from private foundations and/or high net worth individuals.
- Demonstrated interest and knowledge of international development/global health issues.
- Proven experience and ability in managing staff and collaborating with colleagues across countries and time zones; and preferably, experience in living and/or working in Sub-Sahara Africa.
- Willingness to relocate to Lusaka, Zambia is a plus but not a requirement. COMPETENCIES
- Strong writing, analytical, project management skills
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Thoughtful, confident and charismatic individual who easily builds rapport and develops long term relationships.
- Ability to communicate passionately and effectively with stakeholders about Healthy Learners’ story and impact.
- Ability to work in a dynamic, entrepreneurial environment.
- Ability to thrive in an atmosphere that demands and rewards innovation and creativity, with a high bar for commitment and performance.
- Conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines, and communicating both internally and externally in a timely and responsive manner.
- Ability to manage diverse relationships, be culturally sensitive, and maintain a respectful demeanor in context of working within the international development sector.
- Highly effective and versatile communication skills—both written and oral—with the ability to write effectively for a variety of audiences.
- Strong ability to present complex and often sensitive issues in a succinct and compelling manner.
- Ability to work under limited supervision.
Passion for Healthy Learners’ mission, vision and values. If interested, please send your CV and cover letter to [email protected] with the subject: Senior Development Manager
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.