Jumbo Wholesale Zambia Limited
Jumbo Wholesale is a low cost, no frills wholesale business providing General Merchandise, Cosmetics & Food products in bulk to a range of independent traders & commercial users in Southern Africa.
Jumbo – The Giant of Africa offers you a wider range, great deals, improved services and a better shopping experience.
We believe in cultivating relationships, team work, excellent customer service, simplicity, innovation and keeping our promises.
We seek to fill the role of Safety Officer.
Job specifications/responsibilities will include the following:
- Train all Employees know and understand the importance and implications of Safety Legislation
- Ensure evacuations proceed smoothly, in the shortest time possible
- Train all employees to know the Evacuation procedures
- Complete the Managers’ duty roster and distribute to relevant personnel
- Hold effective daily PDR meetings with the Risk Manager /Administration Manager. (Plan, Do, Review)
- Hold effective daily PDR meetings with staff.
- Enforce and ensure the completion of the Lifting Machinery checklist (daily)
- Enforce and ensure the completion of the Health & Safety Inspection checklist (monthly)
- Enforce and ensure the completion of the Racking & Stacking checklist (daily)
- Enforce and ensure the completion of the Fire Equipment Register checklist (monthly)
- Enforce and ensure the completion of the Fire Safety Checklist (daily)
- Participate and contribute in monthly Health & Safety meetings
- Participate and contribute in monthly Emergency Committee meetings
- Participate and contribute in monthly First Aid meetings
- Participate and contribute in monthly Fire Fighting meetings
- Check and ensure that the necessary protective clothing is issued and controlled
- Check and ensure that all necessary signage is clearly displayed
- Check and ensure that an audit is conducted bi-annually, to ensure that the company conforms to the legal safety requirements
- Check and ensure that all hazardous chemicals are documented in the Hazardous Chemical Handbook
- Train staff on the following courses :Accident and incident investigations, First Aid, Fire Fighting and Racking & Stacking
- Check and ensure that the Emergency plan is drawn up and distributed to the relevant people
- Check and ensure that the Emergency plan is revisited periodically and updated when required
- Check and ensure that the Emergency plans displayed in strategic positions in Store.
- Arrange evacuations drills at least once every six months, to ensure knowledge of the Emergency Plan and the Evacuation procedures
- Analyse success of evacuation drill, and take corrective action where necessary
- Conduct ongoing audits /assessments on all procedures and controls
- Check and ensure that follow up audits are conducted
- Give feedback to the Store Managers re: action steps required
- Know and understand store rules and procedures.
- Adhere always to store rules and procedures.
- Report suspicious looking customers to Security, or a Manager
- Check and ensure that all expenditure is controlled within budget (or an overspend is justified)
- Raise expense orders prior to any expenditure
- Check and ensure that all lifting machinery operators have a valid operator’s license and a copy kept on file.
- Check and ensure all company drivers have valid driver’s licenses with no endorsements.
- Minimum 2-3 years related experience as Safety Officer in similar Role/Capacity (Retail).
- Diploma or Degree in Related Field
- Full Grade 12 Certificate
- Quality & service orientated
- Excellent Communication Skills
- Possesses Safety Skillset
- Must pay attention to detail and work well under pressure
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.