At First Quantum, we free the talent of our people by taking a very different approach which is underpinned by a very different, very definite culture – the “First Quantum Way”.
Working with us is not like working anywhere else, which is why we recruit people who will take a bolder, smarter approach to spot opportunities, solve problems and deliver results.
Our culture is all about encouraging you to think independently and to challenge convention to deliver the best result. That’s how we continue to achieve extraordinary things in extraordinary locations.
The safety Officer is responsible for planning, organizing, and directing day-to-day activities that affect the EHS programs. The safety officer is responsible for developing and implementing a safe work environment, and performing safety audits and inspections in order to prevent injury to workers, damage to property and ensure legal compliance.
- Perform workplace audits and inspections.
- Engage with site supervision and employees to continuously improve the safety performance of the work groups.
- Conduct site inductions for employees and contractors as well as other training as required.
- Assist with the provision of site emergency services including prevention, preparedness and response and participation at training exercises.
- Grow safety participation in pre-starts and toolbox meetings, HSE committee and H&S management meetings.
- Conduct hazard, risk assessments and workplace random alcohol screening
- Maintain all safety, training, health and medical records according to established procedures to ensure accuracy, completeness and privacy.
- Assist in the design and implementation of safety topics
- Attend crew toolbox meetings on a daily basis
- Monitor and review incidents and review recurrent events and assist in development and implementation of remedial actions.
- Participate in all incident investigations and identify areas for improvement, and ensure relevant alerts are sent for circulation.
- Support the organizational culture of FQM (Bolder, Driven, Smarter, Together) and actively promote its translation in terms of safety related activity
- Ensure established company health, safety policies and procedures are upheld
- Ensure all incidents are recorded on and daily safety reports are up to date.
- In conjunction with local supervisors, conduct informal daily and periodic formal safety inspections in all areas within the scope of the job site.
- Ensure all Non Conformances are identified and actioned and close outs are complete.
- Randomly conduct Planned Task Observations
- Grade 12 Certificate
- Degree in OSHE or any related science or engineering discipline from a reputable institution.
- Able to understand Company Procedures, Guide to Mining Regulation and other Zambian laws.
- Holder of a driver’s license
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience as Safety Officer in a mining, heavy engineering or Construction setting.
- Ability to man a shift.
- Advanced understanding of Safety and Associated systems.
- Good Computer literacy
- Experience working with International systems i.e. ISO 45001.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
To apply for this job please visit firstquantum.wd3.myworkdayjobs.com.