National Water Supply and Sanitation Council (NWASCO)
The National Water Supply and Sanitation Council (NWASCO) is a statutory body established under the Water Supply and Sanitation Act No. 28 of 1997 (as amended by Act No.10 of 2005) with the mandate to regulate water supply and sanitation services in the country.
NWASCO hereby invites applications from suitably qualified and experienced candidates for the position of Rural Water and Sanitation Inspector.
Reporting to the Institution’s Chief Inspector, the person will be required to meet the following accountabilities and obligations:
- Ensuring that providers of water supply and sanitation services comply with the provisions of the Water Supply and Sanitation Act, licence conditions set by the regulator, and other requisite directives issued with regard to the regulation of rural water supply and sanitation services;
- Able to develop internal systems and operational procedures for the proper regulation of rural water supply and sanitation services;
- Able to render necessary support to providers of rural water supply and sanitation services with regard to the design and implementation of water supply and sanitation systems appropriate for rural areas;
- Ensuring periodic monitoring and feedback on the improvements to be made by the providers of rural water supply and sanitation services;
- Ensuring that performance improvement trends of providers of rural water supply and sanitation services are properly documented for purposes of continued general supervision, follow-ups and reporting to the Council (i.e. the Board of Directors of NWASCO);
- Able to coordinate efforts with service providers and other stakeholders in the undertaking of socio-economic studies related to rural water supply and sanitation services including market analysis aimed at determining the ability and willingness to pay for services by members of the public;
- Proposing and advising on necessary monitoring programmes the providers of rural water supply and sanitation services including other intermediaries such as Private and Community Operators;
- Able to identify, develop and record socio-economic monitoring indicators for respective providers of rural water supply and sanitation services;
- Able to liaise with Local Authorities, Government Institutions and other stakeholders on matters of public health insofar as regulation of rural water supply and sanitation services is concerned; and
- Undertake any other official duties as delegated by the Supervisor from time to time.
- Full Grade 12 Certificate;
- Bachelor’s Degree in any of the following fields, that is, Development Studies, Socio-Economics, Civil Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Environmental Engineering, Public Health or any other relevant and proven field to the position being advertised; and
- Any postgraduate qualification relating to rural water supply and sanitation will be an added advantage.
Work Experience and skills
- Five (5) years’ work experience in a related field;
- A good and general understanding of the water supply and sanitation sector and operations of regulated entities in the sector will be an added advantage;
- Good oral and written communication, report-writing and problem-solving skills;
- Team player;
- Good time-management skills; and
- Good analytical, qualitative and computational skills and competence in database management.
The position shall be based at the Principal Office in Lusaka.
Mode of Application
Application letters with a detailed curriculum vitae should be uploaded onto the NWASCO website at http://www.nwasco.org.zm/index.php/about-nwasco/jobs-at-nwasco and addressed to the undersigned not later than Friday, 7th May, 2021:
National Water Supply and Sanitation Council
Plot 164, Mulombwa Close, Off Bwinjimfumu Road
P O Box 34358
Certified copies of academic and professional qualifications will not be required at this stage. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
To apply for this job please visit www.nwasco.org.zm.