Family Health and Nutrition Project (FHN) is a five-year, USAID-funded project that will contribute to reduction of maternal mortality and under five mortality through collaboration with Government of the Republic of Zambia (GRZ), Ministry of Health (MOH), communities and other local partners to improve health system performance and to deliver high-quality, accessible reproductive, maternal, newborn, child, and adolescent health and nutrition (RMNCAH&N) care. Working in four provinces, Eastern, Luapula, Muchinga, and Southern, FHN will work with MOH provincial and district counterparts to deliver high-quality services, strengthen health systems, and increase community engagement.
Jhpiego is an international, non-profit health organization affiliated with The Johns Hopkins University. For 40 years in East and Southern Africa, Jhpiego has empowered front-line health workers by designing and implementing effective, low-cost, hands-on solutions that strengthen the delivery of health care services, following the household-to-hospital continuum of care. Jhpiego partners with organizations from the community to the national levels, building sustainable, local capacity through advocacy, policy development, human resources for health and quality and performance improvement approaches. For further information about Jhpiego, please visit our website at www.jhpiego.org.
Jhpiego seeks candidates for the following position(s):
Reproductive, Maternal & Newborn Health Advisor
Reports to: Technical Director
Positions supervised: None
The Maternal and Newborn Health Advisor is accountable for the technical quality of FHNs’ reproductive, maternal and newborn technical assistance (TA) to the MOH in all four FHN provinces. Working closely with the Technical Director and providing leadership to provincial staff, the Advisor will oversee strategies to identify appropriate reproductive, maternal, and newborn health high impact interventions (HII) to address identified performance gaps and guide PHOs and DHOs to implement them. The Advisor will lead collaboration with relevant implementing partners to coordinate in child health and immunization programing and service delivery.
- Lead child health and immunization TA delivery strategy with PHOs and DHOs ensuring reproductive, maternal, and newborn health HII
- Work closely with Technical Director to maintaining technical soundness of the TA strategy.
- Represent the program at national level stakeholder meetings and relevant technical committees
- Lead the process for updating RMNCAH guidelines, strategies and other resources as required
- Provide leadership to Quality Improvement Officers and District Capacity Strengthening Officers in delivering quality TA at provincial and district levels.
- Lead the overall support to PHOs and DHOs in scaling up operational clinical mentorship system that maintains a competent workforce capable of delivering the package of clinical interventions and promoting respectful maternity care.
- Provide technical leadership in defining, organizing and implementing catalytic activities that kick start introduction of new HII that will have large contribution to achieving FHN objectives
- Lead the packaging of virtual and blended learning/mentoring through the ECHO and other existing platforms
- Promote utilization of eLearning platforms among providers across the target provinces
- Lead the transformation of RMNCAHN trainings into mentoring modules
- Ensure inclusion of new topics on gender sensitivity, couple focused education and counseling and gender-based violence in the mentoring modules
- Contribute to FHN workplans and reporting.
- In collaboration with the Technical Director ensure that necessary planning, budgeting and management activities occur to facilitate smooth and efficient implementation of TA activities.
- Identify and document program successes, best practices, challenges and lessons learnt and facilitate sharing at international, national and district levels.
- Provide support for monitoring and evaluation of program activities including thorough collection of facility level data and submission of program reports
- Perform or assume other duties as assigned by the chief of party to ensure the smooth functioning of the MNH program and the activities of the program goal.
- Master’s degree in public health or related field with
- 8 to 9 years’ experience with strong experience in successful field implementation and management of programs in maternal and newborn health for the public, private or NGO sector
- Understanding of the health systems in Zambia
- Well vest in the health policies and guidelines especially as pertains to MNCH
- Technically proficient with up-to-date MNCH clinical skills
- Experience in developing successful, replicable and sustainable service delivery programs
- Understanding of performance improvement and training techniques
- National/provincial level work experience in Zambia and solid relationships with the Zambian health sector
- Experience in the development of strategic and tactical plans in collaboration with other stakeholders who may represent a wide range of interests and needs
- Ability to build capacity and collaboration between governmental and non-governmental partners and other project implementers
- Experience in data management at the facility and program level
- Excellent interpersonal, leadership, writing and oral presentation skills
- Strong results-oriented, decision-making skills
- Ability to work in a complex environment with multiple task and intense pressure to perform
- Familiarity with USAID donor policies and administrative procedures, and experience in design and implementation health programs
To apply, please send your application letter and curriculum vitae in a single document, stating the position in the subject line (position – location) to the Human Resources Manager: Zambiajobs@jhpiego.org.
Kindly note that only short listed candidates will be contacted.
Closing date is Friday 30th July, 2021.
Find Zambia Jobs – The best job board for Jobs in Zambia