Program Manager (Regional SRHR Fund)
To support our office, manage the implementation and technical aspects of the Regional SRHR Fund including the generating of new initiatives and mobilising of resources we are looking for a Program Manager (PM), who will work from Lusaka, Zambia.
Position within Hivos
Hivos in partnership with Sida and Ford Foundation manages the Regional Fund on Sexual and Reproductive Health and Rights (SRHR). The Regional SRHR Fund was established in recognition of the critical need for a strategic regional response to collectively address the myriad of SRHR issues in Southern Africa with particular attention to young people and adolescents as well as to provide an opportunity for donors to coordinate their support to SRHR in the region. The fund is currently focusing on strengthening the capacity of youth led and youth focused organizations to effectively advocate for their sexual and reproductive health needs in east and southern Africa. To do so, it is supporting civil society responses to a diversity of ASRHR issues that are relevant at both the national and regional levels using grant-making as the main mechanism of support. The Fund further seeks to support targeted efforts to advocate and take actions that can lead to improvements in the availability and accessibility of SRHR services for adolescent and youth with a focus on the most vulnerable people. You can find more information about this program here.
Aim of the job
The Program Manager will report to the Regional Director for Hivos Southern Africa and will be responsible for the implementation of all aspects of the Regional SRHR Program. The Program Manager will directly supervise the program unit that consists of Programs, Finance, Monitoring and Evaluation & Support Staff.
The Program Manager will further oversee the progress of all components of the Program with respect to donor milestones, with a focus on keeping activities on track for completion while providing leadership and strategic direction to the team. The Program Manager will also coordinate and directly communicate with partners and other key stakeholders. They will be responsible for ensuring project visibility at the regional and national levels in liaison with project partners and other key stakeholders.
Program Leadership and Management (30% LOE)
- Provide overall leadership and management supervision in the implementation of the SRHR Fund including but not limited to; work planning; partner liaison and management; M&E and financial management and donor reporting
- Provide technical oversight of the program and individual activities to ensure adherence to evidence-based interventions and best practices
- Oversee financial management and procurement, including delivery, management, and monitoring of sub-grants to community-based organizations
- Monitor performance of SRHR grants and make recommendations regarding scale-up potential or trouble shooting when challenges arise
Leadership and Management of the Program Team (20% LOE)
- Provide leadership and direction for the project team, including program management, grants management, and monitoring and evaluation staff
- Support all program staff in their skills development needs, identifying gaps for improvement and recommending training as necessary.
- Provide effective performance management, mentoring, and coaching for all program staff
Planning and Delivery of Program Results (15% LOE)
- Lead planning, quality assurance and supervision of program monitoring, evaluating, and reporting, ensuring rapid roll-out and supervision of activities at regional and country levels
- Leads the process of contracting the grantees in line with Hivos and donor requirements
- Ensure that grantees receive the organisational and technical capacity development needed to successfully complete their grant-funded activities
Accountability and Compliance (15% LOE)
- Ensures transparent and accessible reporting against results framework and planning, including financial and progress reports and evaluations.
- Ensure compliance with and implementation of all donor-related and project specific policies
Program Knowledge, Learning and Quality Management (10% LOE)
- Maintains and updates learning across the program, as well as stimulating internal and external knowledge exchange and integrating learning into practice.
External Positioning and Relationship Management (5% LOE)
- Primary relationship manager and external ambassador of the Regional SRHR Fund, including responding to information requests and overall reporting on the SRHR funding mechanism
- Coordinate with project partners and key stakeholders, including the Sida regional team in Pretoria and Ford Foundation in Johannesburg, in all aspects of project planning, monitoring, and implementation
Resource Mobilisation (5% LOE)
- Leads the efforts to identify and mobilize potential donors and funding mechanisms to grow and amplify the scope and results of the program.
- Master’s degree in Public Health, International Development, Social Sciences or related area.
- More than 10 years’ professional experience in project coordination or management of Sexual Reproductive Health Rights or related fields
- A minimum of at least 5 years’ senior management experience
- Proven experience implementing high-volume sub-granting programs in Sub-Saharan Africa.
Experience and skills
- 8 – 10 years’ knowledge/experience in management of large and complex regional/multi country programs preferably on SRHR and HIV.
- Exceptional project management skills including; finance, budgeting, managing staff, planning, donor-management.
- Proven experience of providing coordination and technical support to similar multi-country SRHR and HIV Programs in Africa involving coordination with multiple programs and partner institutions, including delivering at pace and managing demands from multiple stakeholders.
- experience of providing coordination and technical support to similar multi-country SRHR and HIV Programs in Africa
- Demonstrable experience in implementing learning and sharing information with a wide range of stakeholders
- Experience in facilitating training, policy and advocacy interventions across countries and regions.
- Experience in working with and sensitivity for youth, young women & girls and other key populations
- Experience in applying an adaptive management approach.
- Proven leadership skills, based on inspiration, trust, and influence rather than hierarchy.
- Highly skilled in external relationship management, including with donors, government and the wider governance and accountability field.
- Strategic thinker, able to link operational learning to wider program outcomes.
- Full professional proficiency in English with demonstrably excellent written and verbal skills
- Ability to work under pressure and in a multi- cultural environment
- Experience in evidence-based advocacy for SRHR
- Able and willing to travel regularly both locally and internationally.
What we offer
Hivos offers a challenging position in an international environment.
The Regional office is based in Harare, Zimbabwe. This position will be based in Lusaka, Zambia. Hivos welcomes International & Regional applicants but can only offer a position to only those with a valid work permit for Zambia. Hivos can only offer employment on local terms and conditions.
How to apply
Please apply before September 28, 2021. If you meet the above mentioned qualifications (please look carefully), you can apply to this vacancy by filling in a digital application form and adding a cover letter explaining your motivation and your CV. You can find application form here.
We particularly welcome applications from women and youth. Persons of all genders, races, sexes, orientations, ages, and identities are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job please visit hivos.bamboohr.com.