World Vision Zambia
Employee Contract Type:
International Assignment – Fixed Term (Fixed Term)
Here’s where you come in:
As National Director for World Vision Zambia, you will lead, develop and direct the implementation of all aspects of World Vision’s ministry in Zambia. You will be responsible for:
- Overall strategic and operational leadership to World Vision Zambia;
- Strategically leading, developing and directing the implementation of all aspects of World Vision Ministry in Zambia as an effective member of the Partnership in line with Twin Citizenship principles to ensure high Ministry quality and high impact on the field;
- Ensuring that World Vision’s ministry is directly contributing to the sustained well-being of children and the fulfillment of their rights within families and communities;
- Representing World Vision to all donors, project partners, other World Vision offices and divisions, local Government, Church representatives and non-governmental organisations serving according to given Power of Attorney.
- Ensure that WV Zambia has high quality Christian Commitment strategy, operations plan and they are appropriate for country context;
- Model high standard of personal Christian leadership, Ministry and integrity though lifestyle and work relationships, and provide spiritual guidance to staff on the Vision, Mission and WV Core Values;
- Participate and lead regular devotional meetings.
- Ensure high quality and high impact on the field by leading in a way that WV Zambia programs are achieving expected annual targets on sustainable basis in line with strategic priorities;
- Ensure adequate resources are acquired and managed to meet and enable quality program implementation;
- Ensure the highest standards of quality and accountability through compliance with World Vision policies and standards and international standards for emergency response, disaster mitigation, rehabilitation and development;
- Ensure adequate oversight over project proposals, reports, integrated audits, and ministry evaluations to assure that impact and accountability patterns are met;
- Ensure accountability for the implementation of effective ministry to all key stakeholders. Ensure adequate oversight towards relevant, timely and accurate flow of management and operational reports according to program objectives and standards.
Strategy, Operating Plan and Long- and Short- Term Targets
- Ensure that there is documented Country strategy, Ministry strategies and operating plans, and the latter have been derived from overall strategy and have clear and measurable short-term and long-term targets; Ensure that Ministry strategies are aligned with Partnership Strategic priorities and Our Promise;
- Ensure that there are clear strategies for People & Culture, Communications and other main functions, and they are based on the office strategy and operational plan and include main priority areas identified in respective Regional and Partnership Strategy. Facilitate and be accountable for strategies execution and monitoring;
- Support Senior Leadership Team to make consistent and progressive steps towards organizational and programmatic consistency and sustainability; effectively communicate work plans and priorities derived from the organisational strategies by partnering with Senior Leadership Team to ensure synchronized accountabilities, objectives and associated budgets;
- Enhance organisational excellence by establishing operational benchmarks, timeframes, targets for accountability, KPIs and resources needed to achieve strategic goals, proactively driving improvements if necessary;
- Enhance sustainable programming supported by stable, long term financing to develop sustainable funding base and to pursue new and innovative funding sources to meet WV Zambia ’s strategic priorities;
- Play a leading role in developing and managing effective partnerships and networks with both existing and new key partners.
- Promote WV’s Vision, Mission, Core Values and key Partnership Standards and Practices among staff and partners and ensure they are the core foundation of the office strategies and work;
- Promote a leadership and management style that enables the integration of operations across Zambia;
- Ensure that capable staff is available to implement office strategy and operational plans;
- Supervise Senior Leadership Team, all policies, organisational planning and development, ensure clarity around roles, motivate Senior Leadership Team and facilitate effective team dynamics;
- Review and approve Senior Leadership Team succession plans; ensure that proper capacity is in place and succession plan is updated and executed;
- Lead and manage in a way that facilitates the high performance culture, open trustworthy relationships and integrity; Promote culture of learning and development, employee engagement and good stewardship of human capital in the office;
- Ensure implementation and compliance to Partnership Performance Management Standards and Principles, while seek to implement Performance Management guidelines on reasonable level; Champion Senior Leadership Team in proper implementation of Performance Evaluations on annual basis;
- Support initiatives for staff care and well-being;
- Respect, value and promote gender, age, religious and ethnic diversity;
- Ensure high standards in the management of the human, financial, capital and technical resources of the organisation. It also includes inspiring and maintaining high standards of work and clear accountability to stakeholders;
- Visit projects frequently to encourage, build relationships, and support WV programs.
Advocacy and Representation
- Represent WV Zambia, engage and build strategic alliances with the Government of individual countries, boards, major donor agencies, WV Partnership, non-governmental agencies, churches and media;
- Develop and implement appropriate advocacy strategies to raise awareness of- and advocate for change in- key issues within the specific context;
- Lead and facilitate strategies for the promotion of justice that look for the change of unfair structures that oppress those in need; Ensure that WV is positioned as a leading NGO in promoting the well-being and rights of children within the country context to deserve public and stakeholders’ confidence and trust;
- Strengthen awareness of World Vision’s program both within and outside of the WV Partnership;
- Ensure that WV Brand is respected within all operational areas and none of office operations or staff conduct harm it;
- Provide leadership, strategic direction and support to the team for developing and implementing excellent donor experience and acquisition of Ministry funds; Identify new opportunities and forge alliances that lead to optimisation of all resources;
- Engage WV Zambia Board and ensure strong reporting performance. Support the Board in identifying and interviewing candidates and coordination of selection with the Regional Office.
- Serves as Board Member for VisionFund Zambia, seeks ways to integrate programmatic opportunities with World Vision’s work in Zambia.
Financial Management and Operational Audit Compliance
- Ensure efficient and effective organisational practices, that would result in successful financial and operational audit scores;
- Oversee action planning and execution to resolve audit findings in an agreed and timely manner; oversee appropriate reporting of audit results and actions;
- Oversee strong financial compliance through timeliness and completeness of financial reports;
- Oversee strong operational compliance through timeliness and completeness of program/project reports;
- Provide direction and focus for integrating private and public funds to maximize results and respond to community needs in most effective and efficient way;
- Manage overall financial integrity of the program to WV Support Offices, Donors, the Government and other stakeholders;
- Provide overall strategic leadership and initiative for identifying and securing financial resources to support the program.
Safety and Security, Disaster Mitigation and Preparedness
- Develop and maintain capacity to respond to natural and man-made emergencies;
- Oversee regular review of security and safety plans and protocols (security manual, evacuation plan, Disaster Preparedness Plan, and risk assessments at national and AP levels) and ensure understanding and compliance by all staff and visitors;
- Oversee relief efforts, as and when they arise and work in partnership with response teams. Build in-country relief response capacity to ensure adequate disaster management and response;
- Liaise with other international organisations to collect information about the security environment and, where appropriate, discuss joint responses to security threats.
Compliance and Country Legal environment
- Ensure that the country office comply with local legal requirements and standards;
- Represent WV country office in courts, if required;
- Ensure and oversee proper mechanisms for Child Protection and other WVI Standards and Principles implementation;
- Ensure that the entity functions in a complementary, cohesive manner where the principles of interdependence and twin citizenship guide the contribution made to the Partnership and the use of WV Partnership resources;
- Ensure WV Zambia actively participates in scheduled Peer Reviews. Take ownership for appropriate action planning and execution of Peer Review recommendations with the Advisory Council;
- Ensure business continuity through an integrated risk management approach, including security, financial, operational and reputation risks by developing contingency plans and scenarios; and take ownership of the action plans.
National Resource Development
- Explore opportunities and facilitate National Resource Development plan;
- Develop and implement an effective National Resource Development strategy and implementation plan that enables to generate funds locally to meet local sustainability strategy;
- Implement long term and short term programs that create new opportunities for acquisition, retention and transformation of diverse set of donors;
- Influence donors using creative approaches to motivate them to get involved in support of WV Zambia fundraising initiatives.
Knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Masters degree in international development, Social Science or related field is required
- Experience of National Board development process
- Previous National/Country Director experience is required
- Prior governance experience is required
- Minimum 3 years executive leadership experience in a large international organisation
- Requires at least 15 years’ experience in International NGO leadership
- Proven experience in overseeing large Government grants, major private donors and/or complex multi-sectorial development and humanitarian programs.
- Requires prior experience in country strategy development , risk management and organisational development
- Proven track record of fundraising
- Experience in leading a multi-cultural senior leadership team
- Strong networking, representation and communication skills with ability to express ideas and concepts clearly and persuasively with senior internal and external stakeholders.
- Ability to cope under significant pressure
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with all levels of staff, donors, the Advisory Council and other stakeholders
- Understands and values equity, diversity and inclusion to achieve organisational goals.
- High level of emotional intelligence
- Innovator and calculated risk taker.
- The position requires ability and willingness to travel domestically and internationally up to 30% of the time.
Applicant Types Accepted:
Local and International Applicants (IA’s) Accepted
To apply for this job please visit worldvision.wd1.myworkdayjobs.com.