Zambia Environmental Management Agency (ZEMA)
The Zambia Environmental Management Agency (“ZEMA”) is a statutory body established under the Environmental Management Act (“EMA”) No. 12 of 2011 whose mandate is to do all such things as are necessary to ensure the sustainable management of natural resources and protection of the environment, and the prevention and control of pollution.
In pursuance of its mandate, ZEMA is now inviting applications from suitably qualified and experienced Zambian candidates to fill the following positions;
1. PRINCIPAL AUDITOR-INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY
1.1 Job Purpose
Under the supervision of the Manager-Internal Audit the job holder will assist with the management and provision of effective and efficient assurance in all areas of ZEMA’s governance, risk and control.
Main Duties and Accountabilities (Without Limitation)
- Oversee the completion of risk-based IT and operational audits assigned by the MIA.
- Evaluating IT management practices and procedures for compliance with applicable regulations company policy and industry such as COBIT.
- Identifying and testing effectiveness of operating procedures and of internal controls embedded in systems.
- Preparing audit work papers in accordance with professional standards and
- Preparing written reports of completed audits and presenting results to Management.
- Develops and maintains productive client and staff relationships through individual contacts and group meetings.
- Pursues professional development opportunities, including external and internal training and professional association memberships, and shares information gained with co-workers.
- Represents internal auditing on organizational project teams, at management meetings, and with external organizations.
- Provides or assists in providing training, coaching, and guidance to internal audit staff in conducting audits and other audit-related issues.
- Plans and executes audits of client/server technology platforms and evaluates IT internal controls and works collaboratively with management to identify actions needed.
- Conducts data extraction, analysis, and security reviews utilizing software tools.
- Supports audits and consulting engagements related to programming, mainframe batch and online processes, client-server architecture, Internet and intranet functionality, database extraction, technology strategy, and data communication and network security.
- Acts as liaison with IT business partners to ensure full understanding of data flow, data integrity, and system security.
- Assesses information technology control elements to mitigate IT risks regarding the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of business information.
- Performs related work as assigned by audit management.
1.2 Minimum Qualification and Experience
Education and Experience:
- Full Grade 12 Certificate with credits or better in English and Mathematics
- Bachelor’s degree required with a preference toward Computer Science, Information Systems, Information Security, Accounting, Finance, or Business.
- Practical IT experience helpful and may be considered in lieu of audit experience requirement.
- Should have professional certification such as CISA, CISM, CIA or ACCA
- Should have a strong information systems background supplemented with practical experience in IT operations
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in similar role
Must also have the following demonstrated knowledge, skills, and abilities:
- Ability to handle complex problems and multitask.
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written) to accurately and succinctly communicate complex ideas.
- Ability to lead and influence others.
- Conforms to acceptable standards of conduct as expressed in the employee handbook and the code of conduct for auditors as prescribed by the Institute of Internal Auditors and the Information Systems Audit and Control Association
2. PRINCIPAL INSPECTOR-GEOGRAPHIC INFORMATION SYSTEM (GIS)
2.1 Job Purpose
Under the supervision of the Manager-Climate Change and Natural Resources, the job holder manages the Geographic Information System (GIS) Unit of ZEMA. The officer is responsible for the overall vision, design, management, and leadership of ZEMA’s GIS program, including the management of ZEMA’s GIS technology, services, and geospatial data.
MAIN DUTIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES (Without Limitation)
- Provides comprehensive planning and system architecture design of GIS database and application systems for all GIS integrated functions of ZEMA.
- Supervises professional and technical staff assigned to the GIS Unit.
- Provides oversight, service requirements, and leadership to GIS technical staff.
- Manages the implementation, development, and services delivery of the GIS including planning, coordination, prioritization, and goal setting.
- Manages, defines, and monitors the services of the enterprise GIS. Coordinates all data standards, processes, and workflow to ensure that GIS data and services meet requirements of ZEMA.
- Ensures that data, security, and system standards are maintained by all users of the GIS system from all departments throughout ZEMA.
- Plans, organizes, coordinates, assigns, and evaluates the work of professional and technical staff in the GIS Unit and reviews daily accomplishments of the assigned GIS staff and modifies personnel assignments as necessary.
- Conducts performance evaluations on the assigned staff,
- Manages and prioritizes all GIS enterprise level modifications and updates.
1. Minimum Qualifications and Experience
- Full Grade 12 Certificate
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, geography, information systems management, or related field.
- Master’s degree will be an added advantage.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience
Minimum Relevant Pre-Job Experience, Attributes and Competencies;
- 5 years of progressively responsible professional experience related to the analysis, design, implementation, support and administration of GIS systems in a complex enterprise environment using the ArcGIS, QGIS, Pix4Dmapper, UgCS and programming languages like Python, R and Matlab Visionary and goals driven;
- Exceptional interpersonal and team working skills;
- High Level of computer literacy; and
- Pragmatic, efficient and highly organized personality.
3.0 SENIOR INSPECTORS (01) LUSAKA (01) NDOLA
3.1 JOB PURPOSE
Reporting to the Principal Inspector to plan, organise, coordinate and provide supervision for Operations Department in order to safeguard human health and the environment.
MAIN DUTIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES (without limitation)
- Draw, supervise and conduct annual programmes for licensing to increase the client base.
- Draw, supervise and conduct annual programmes for compliance monitoring based on regulations, license conditions, decision letter conditions and commitments made in project documents.
- Plan, supervise and conduct annual programmes for auditing facilities.
- Ensure that statutory returns are submitted on time and analysed for decision making.
- Supervise inspectorate activities vis-à-vis inspections, licensing, report reviews, audits and provide technical leadership, promote discipline, training, mentoring and motivation of staff as directed by the Principal Inspector.
- Perform management and administrative support functions related to the Inspectorate including assistance in the preparation of annual budgets, equipment purchase, vehicle usage, staffing needs, tracking expenditure of performed activities in accordance with the approved budget.
- Coordinate meetings, receive reports and liaise with the Principal Inspector to ensure that resolutions from such meetings are implemented.
- Supervise, collect, manage, analyse and store data to create a basis for information to be used in decision making by Management.
- Ensure timely preparation and submission of acceptable field, monthly, quarterly and annual inspectorate reports and any other reports requested by Management.
- Supervise and conduct investigations in environmental incidences, determine cause and take corrective measures.
- Initiate, develop and prepare recommendations for improvements of regulations, standards and guidelines.
- Plan and supervise the management of zone activities by creating and maintaining an inventory of clients in the zone and conduct activities to promote the corporate image of the Council and contribute to maximisation of income generation through expanding of clientele
- Plan, prepare, supervise and implement effective methods of response to emergencies/complaints in order to protect and mitigate against environmental degradation.
- Advise in the domestication of international conventions and ensure timely reporting of expected outputs.
- Manage specific project activities in line with set time frames & outputs and submit reports timely.
- Grade 12 school certificate or its equivalent
- A relevant Engineering or Natural Science or Natural Resource degree or its equivalent from a recognized university.
- An additional postgraduate qualification in environmentally related field will be an added advantage.
- Must be computer literate.
3.4 CANDIDATE PROFILE
The candidate must be a Zambian who is a self-starter, goal-oriented person with demonstrated ability to perform to the highest level, with minimum supervision. The candidate must have the ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing and possess excellent interpersonal skills and high ethical standards.
Other attributes: Confidentiality, Integrity, Influence and willingness to work long and awkward hours occasionally.
4.0 DRIVERS (03) LUSAKA, NDOLA AND MANSA
4.1 JOB PURPOSE
Reporting to the Administration Officer, provide safe, reliable transport service to ZEMA personnel and clients and ensure the vehicles are in good running order
Qualifications and Requirements
- Grade 12 school certificate or its equivalent
- Class B valid Driver’ license
- Basic Motor Vehicle mechanical knowledge;
- Executive and Emergency driving added advantage
MAIN DUTIES AND ACCOUNTABILITIES
- Safe and legal operation of ZEMA vehicles
- Check water, oil, tyres, brake, lights and any item which affect the safety or condition of the vehicle on a daily basis
- Monitor vehicle mileage
- Safe keeping of vehicle accessories e.g., Jack, wheel spanner etc
- Reporting all faults to the vehicle maintenance officer
- Driving executives and teams responding to environmental emergencies
- Two (2) years’ experience in similar position in reputable organization.
Other attributes: Exceptional integrity, Self-starters and goal-oriented, Experience in executive driving and also emergency driving, Customer relations skills, Confidentiality and diplomacy and below 45 years old.
5.0 APPLICATION PROCEDURE & DEADLINE FOR RECEIPT OF APPLICATIONS
Interested persons are requested to hard copies of their curriculum vitae with three readily contactable references, copies of relevant academic/professional certificates and an application letter stating their motivation, to the address below:
THE DIRECTOR GENERAL
ZAMBIA ENVIRONMENTAL MANAGEMENT AGENCY
CORNER OF SUEZ & CHURCH ROADS
P. O. BOX 35131
The envelope or email containing above application documents to be clearly labelled with the job applied for.
THE CLOSING DATE FOR ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS IS 20TH FEBRUARY, 2024
ZEMA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. FEMALE CANDIDATES ARE ENCOURAGED TO APPLY FOR THESE VACANCIES