Planned Parenthood Association of Zambia (PPAZ)
WHO WE ARE
Planned Parenthood Association of Zambia (PPAZ) is non-governmental organisation which has existed since 1972 as a voluntary, not-for-profit and non-political organisation advancing the cause of sexual and reproductive health in Zambia. It is a Member Association of the International Planned Parenthood Federation (IPPF).
Our vision is realisation of a society in which all people in Zambia enjoy equal sexual and reproductive health and rights (SRHR) and have access to quality and affordable SRH information and services.
Our mission is to advocate for sexual and reproductive health rights of women, men and young people, especially the vulnerable, and to empower them to make free and informed reproductive health choices. We dedicate ourselves to the provision of high quality and sustainable youth-focused sexual and reproductive health services.
1. POSITION OVERVIEW – THE PROJECT DIRECTOR
PPAZ seeks qualified staff to implement the Maternal Health Project (MHP). MHP is a five-year, Lancet Global Health-funded project that will contribute to improving the health status of Women and Children. This will be achieved through collaboration with Government of the Republic of Zambia (GRZ), particularly the Ministry of Health (MOH), as well as communities and other local partners to improve health system performance for the delivery of high quality, accessible reproductive, maternal, new born, child, and adolescent health care. Working in three provinces, Luapula, Eastern and Southern, the project will work with MOH provincial and district counterparts to deliver high quality services and strengthen health systems.
The Project Director will be responsible for the technical leadership, oversight and strategic direction to strengthen maternal health systems at national and sub-national levels in target provinces in Zambia. In collaboration with MOH at national and subnational levels and working with two other consortium members namely Plan International Zambia (PIZ) and Network of Zambian People Living with HIV/AIDS (NZP+) implementing partners, develop strategies and innovations for health systems strengthening for an enabling environment for effective maternal health service delivery. He/She will provide demand driven TA to the project at all levels and other maternal health implementing partners to strengthen maternal health best practices, Performance management and health management systems at provincial, district, and facility levels. He/She will be based in Lusaka but will oversee and support technical assistance teams in the three target provinces.
Provide Technical Leadership and demand driven TA to the Maternal Heath Project (MHP) consortium working with MOH and other partners at national and sub-national on Health Systems Strengthening (HSS).
- In collaboration with MOH Health Systems Strengthening officers, provide TA to support the Health Management Teams to strengthen capacity and systems for efficient delivery of essential health services.
- In collaboration with MOH counterparts and other consortium partners, provide TA for continuous assessment of systems strengthening needs in maternal health and recommend additional health system strengthen support that would achieve the project’s objectives.
- Provide TA on project capacity assessment and develop targeted capacity development plans.
- Work closely with other project staff to ensure that project strategies and approaches are delivered in a coherent and coordinated way, work with the national mechanisms in line with project targets.
- Ensure familiarity with project and Donor policies and quality delivery of project activities
- Ensure implementation of HSS work plans and achievement of results across all the supported provinces.
- Manage performance of the Health Systems Strengthening milestones (HSS) to the donor
- Promote a culture of learning within the project and more broadly, proactively documenting and disseminating technical results and lessons.
- Build strong partnerships with the government and other key stakeholder to ensure the project is in line with government priorities and the successful implementation of the project
- Represent the project professionally ensuring the project is well regarded.
- Actively identify and follow up on opportunities to leverage support and resources for the project that will contribute to, or further the objectives of the project.
- Supervise technical staff under this position according to project organogram
- Identify areas for capacity strengthening of technical staff based on project needs
- Maintain excellent relationships with MOH, Partners at National and Subnational levels.
- Keep track of activity results at site, district and region level to monitor progress towards project targets and deliverables
- Provide technical leadership to the development of the project work plan, and program monitoring, in close collaboration with the MOH and other stakeholders
- Ensure timely preparation of donor reports and activity reports, including technical reports and expenditure reports.
- Facilitate the procurement of equipment and supplies required for project implementation
- Master’s Degree in public health or related field with project management as an added advantage.
- Over 8 years work experience in relevant field
- Strong experience in successful field implementation and management of programs in maternal and new born health for the public, private or NGO sector
- Well vested in the health policies and guidelines especially as pertains to RMNCAH in Zambia.
- Ability to collect/analyze qualitative and quantitative data to conduct program-related monitoring and evaluation.
- Experience in developing successful, replicable and sustainable service delivery programs
- Understanding of performance improvement and training techniques
- National/provincial level work experience in Zambia and solid relationships with the Zambian health sector
- Experience in the development of strategic and tactical plans in collaboration with other stakeholders who may represent a wide range of interests and needs
- Ability to build capacity and collaboration between governmental and non-governmental partners and other project implementers
- Experience in data management at the facility and program level
- Excellent interpersonal, leadership, writing and oral presentation skills
- Strong results-oriented, decision-making skills
- Ability to work in a complex environment with multiple task and intense pressure to perform
- Familiarity with donor policies and administrative procedures, and experience in design and implementation of donor funded health programs.
2. MONITORING AND EVALUATION MANAGER (M&E MANAGER ONE POSITION)
The Maternal Health Project (MHP) Manager and Evaluation Manager will be responsible for providing Monitoring and evaluation leadership and support across the MHP programme in country, ensuring timely and accurate submission of data and adherence to MHP protocols, standards, and timelines. The M&E Manager will be responsible for development and implementation of monitoring and evaluation strategies, frameworks, and tools that will ensure accurate and timely information and feedback to stakeholders, and for planning and conducting of data quality assurance and monitoring activities and reports.
DATA QUALITY AND COLLECTION
- Oversee data quality and collection across MHP sites in country including capacity assessment, support and training.
- Ensure timely submission of monthly data of all MHP Cluster sites in Country including proactive supervision and follow-up with sites to ensure ongoing data collection.
- Ongoing review of data to assess completeness, accuracy, and quality standards are met including frequent review of data records at SDP level.
- Regular and frequent presence at service delivery sites across all service delivery sectors and channels within the MHP Cluster to support data collection and quality and ensure auditable data.
- Clean and reconcile the data of MHP sites at least monthly.
- Systematically respond to data-related queries from MHP team and when required MHP’s Third-Party Monitoring agency.
- Oversee regular and ad hoc rapid data quality assessments and support implementation of action plans.
- Ensure Quality of Care data are routinely collected across all sites and entered into the data platform
- Support 3rd party data audits and verification.
- Ensure use of digital Data Platforms, including training and support in country.
- Ensure standardization of data definitions and mapping of SDPs, services and data codes from local systems to donor definitions, codes and systems
- Enforce data management practices and standards.
- Troubleshoot and escalate technology-related issues.
USE OF DATA FOR DECISION-MAKING
- Participate in monthly data review meetings with MHP team and support development of action plans as needed to course correction.
- Coordinate monthly data review meetings with country teams including MHP management, staff and service providers, developing action plans to strengthen data quality and course correction as needed.
- Model and support use of data for supportive performance monitoring at SDP, Cluster, and consortium levels.
- Support dissemination and uptake of evidence and learning across the programme.
MONITORING AND EVALUATION
- Coordinate annual client exit interviews and other periodic data collection initiatives including Barrier Analysis and PEER methodology at the country level, working in conjunction with external technical experts to:
- Ensure local ethics review
- Identify and contract local researchers and enumerators
- Ensure adherence to global protocol and timelines
- Support implementation, cleaning and entering data
- Use and dissemination of findings at the country level
- Draft monitoring and evaluation sections of reports and quality assure all quantitative and qualitative information.
- Support M&E capacity building and training at local level.
- BA in Demography, Statistics, Development Studies, Public Health or any other related field
- Monitoring and Evaluation qualification will be added advantage.
- Minimum of six years’ experience and demonstrated practical skills in M&E of donor-funded development programs.
- Strong knowledge of M&E methodology data analysis and synthesis, performance evaluation and correction, and report writing.
- Demonstrated capacity to use project M&E to advance strategic goals and provide data for decision-making.
- Knowledge of statistical software (such as SPSS, STATA, and SAS). Advanced skills with MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Access (or similar tools) are strongly preferred.
- Excellent representational and communication skills, written and oral fluency in English.
- Ability to travel throughout project areas, as needed and as the security situation allows.
- Proven success in designing, implementing, and operating project M&E systems from project initiation to closeout stages.
- Experience with data management practices and procedures for large-scale programmes, ideally within Payment by Results programmes.
- Experience implementing procedures and practices to ensure data quality and verification, including data quality assessments.
- Experience using DHIS2 for data, reporting and visualization.
- Experience with using supportive approaches to building capacity at service delivery points to accurately record, document, report and use data.
- Record of delivering successful and innovative solutions to challenges.
- Knowledge of major evaluation methodologies (e.g., qualitative, quantitative, and mixed method) and data collection and analysis methodologies.
- Proven technical skills in data management including data collection, cleaning, analysis and use across complex, large-scale programmes.
- Skilled at and passionate about supporting the use of data for decision-making, strategizing and course correction.
OTHER PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES
- The candidate must adhere to the safeguarding reporting and monitoring requirements of this role
- The candidate must be pro-choice.
3. FINANCIAL MANAGER (ONE POSITION MATERNAL HEALTH PROJECT (MHP)
The Finance Manager will be responsible for the budget planning, and supports the Maternal Health Project (MHP) team by offering insights and financial advice that will allow them to make the best business decisions for the project.
Responsible for the recruitment and people management of the project Finance Team, part of a multi-disciplinary team that will oversee implementation of the programme. Oversight of financial management & reporting for the programme ensuring effective project financial management and reporting systems are in place at the Member Association that deliver timely and accurate financial reporting and meet the financial compliance requirements of the donors.
- To ensure compliance with internal and external reporting requirements on activities and programmes.
- Oversight of VFM framework
- Work with country consortium partners to ensure proper reporting systems and strategies are in place
- Decision making authority for finance related matters
- Training needs / capacity building requirements in-country
- To provide advice and support to Country Finance staff on project related financial issues and requirements, including templates and guidelines.
- To ensure gender is effectively mainstreamed within the remit of the post and in line with IPPF’s Gender Equality Policy.
- To build and maintain positive relationships with all members of staff, and contacts within and outside the Federation.
- To become familiar with the Federation’s Health and Safety Programme and Guidelines for using Visual Display Units. To do everything possible to ensure a healthy and safe working environment, including following instructions and guidance.
- Provide technical review and input to country teams on budget and cost application development and project reporting as required
- To provide in-house training to staff on financial and contractual compliance as required; arrange external training as maybe required (with support from Regional Finance Manager)
EDUCATION & QUALIFICATIONS
- Grade 12 with 5 ‘O’ levels
- Bachelor of Accountancy Degree
- Full Professional Qualification in accounting such as ZICA, ACCA, CIMA
- A Member of Zambia Institute of Chartered Accountants (ZICA)
- At least a minimum Experience of Seven (7) years
- Proven experience in the preparation of budgets, their implantation and monitoring actual against budgeted expenditures and incomes.
- Proven ability in Financial Reporting i.e. Management and Final Accounts, Fund.
- Relevant experience in managing financial operations of organisations of a similar or larger size.
- Excellent levels of interpersonal skills to disseminate information, communicate strategic direction, deal sensitively and fairly with all stakeholders and suitably resolve conflict where necessary.
- Experience with handling donor aided funding will be an added advantage
- Strong and strategic financial acumen.
- Plan and implement improvement strategies.
- Excellent knowledge and skills in Microsoft Office products (e.g. Excel).
- Inspire and motivate staff.
- Ability to communicate the vision.
- Ability to effectively manage change.
- Ability to effectively liaise with partner organisations.
- Strong client service orientation.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
OTHER PERSONAL ATTRIBUTES
- The candidate must adhere to the safeguarding reporting and monitoring requirements of this role
- The candidate must be pro-choice.
PPAZ is an equal opportunity employer. Please send your application letter and CV as one document clearly marking the position you are applying to: [email protected].
Closing date of receiving applications is 14th June, 2022 at 13:00hrs.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted
Awarding of these positions is subject to approval of project funding