Job Title: Monitoring Evaluation and Research Director
The Monitoring, Evaluation and Research (M, E&R) Director will lead, coordinate and guide monitoring, evaluation and research activities across all of Jhpiego Zambia’s programs. This includes leading the unit in providing programs and donors with quality data monitoring, program evaluation and research, reviewing deliverables and reports, and ensuring high quality outputs. This position will directly support Jhpiego‘s priority to increase technical outputs (reports and publications), better analyze outcomes and impacts of Jhpiego technical innovations and programs, report on Jhpiego Performance Indicators (JPIs), and respond to new program development needs. The position will also support the organizational goal of enhancing capacity to demonstrate and communicate higher level quality programming successes, both to foster new markets for Jhpiego programs and to enhance the role of Jhpiego as a technical leader worldwide. This position is for an awarded USAID project.
- Provide leadership to Jhpiego/Zambia’s M,E&R Unit, coordinating activities and guiding staff members in the Unit to produce high quality program monitoring and evaluation and research.
- Identify opportunities for publication, reporting or presentation for Jhpiego Zambia programs, and link program staff with opportunities.
- Mentor writing of abstracts among program staff; assist in the production of manuscripts for peer-reviewed publications with a variety of authors from Jhpiego Zambia office; assist in writing and reviewing technical reports.
- Provide technical input into all stages of research and program evaluation conducted by Jhpiego Zambia.
- Together with M,E&R Unit, ensure successful implementation of program M,E&R strategies and frameworks and prompt and high quality reporting of program results.
- In collaboration with the Country Director, program staff and the M, E&R Unit, support development of proposals or other business development opportunities.
- Collaborate with the Technical Advisor strategic Information and ensure program monitoring data for reporting is available in a timely fashion for all programs within Jhpiego Zambia. Actively engage with and advise Ministry of Health (MOH), Ministry of Community Development, Mother & Child Health (MCDMCH), and other Implementing Partners on health information systems as a systems strengthening approach.
- Together with Deputy Project Director, M&E Advisors and other Technical Advisors in Baltimore, support the implementation of Jhpiego’s Institutional Review Board (IRB) policy, including training for staff in research ethics/ GCP.
- Lead, coordinate and support program staff and M, E&R officers to design and implement viable operations research and program evaluations.
- Identify programmatic successes, challenges and lessons learned, and ensure appropriate flow of information across the organization.
- Identify and communicate potential opportunities for new business and new or leveraged funding sources.
- Participate in the review of technical and programmatic portions of business development proposals as assigned.
- Write and review M&E sections of submitted proposals to ensure technical quality and fit with national and Jhpiego wide programs and program approaches.
- Master’s degree in public health or a social science with specialization in international health or equivalent experience, PhD preferred
- Ten (10) years of experience in public health programs.
- Strong technical skills across a range of research and monitoring approaches, including ability to process and analyze data using one or more statistical software packages, including at least one of the following: SPSS, SAS, Stata, MS Access
- In-depth understanding of evolving international health priorities and donor expectations for program results, outcomes, impact and reporting.
- Technical and experiential knowledge of the range of applied research and monitoring and evaluation techniques, including the relationship of information systems to program, field, and global initiatives.
- Understanding of performance improvement and training techniques.
- Technical skills in monitoring, evaluation and research, including at least 4-5 of the following: applied evaluation or research; training design and implementation; data analysis, synthesis, and communication of results; design and implementation of evaluation protocols; design and implementation of program monitoring systems; development and field-testing of data collection instruments; data collection planning and implementation (routine or survey); qualitative data analysis and use; translation of complex data systems and results to understandable lessons learned and action priorities for programmatic and other technical staff.
- Knowledge of and experience in the international health program development field, especially with international and U.S. donor agencies and private sector foundations.
- Ability to work in a complex environment with multiple tasks, short deadlines and intense pressure to perform.
- Ability to travel up to 30% and interact professionally in challenging environments.
To apply for this job please visit jobs-jhpiego.icims.com.