Purpose of the role
To supervise mine crews, to ensure safety is managed, overall development performance is monitored and efficiency of mine workers engaged in surface mining operations. The position is responsible for continuous in-pit evaluation pertaining to practical compliance to all relevant procedures. In addition, the Mine Captain will assist the Production Superintendent in the enforcement of all provisions of Mine regulation (MR 208) in his area of responsibility.
- Effectively supervising the management of Safety, Health, Environment and Quality (SHEQ) in your area of responsibility.
- Meet production targets in accordance with the key performance indicators
- Coordinate recourses (people, equipment and material) to ensure work targets are met.
- People Management and Leadership
- Ensure all Legal appointments in area of responsibility is correctly done in the Logbook
- Ensure that all operators and personnel entering your work area are adequately inducted on site safety and operating procedures and systems and that these are complied with.
- Mine to designs (dig limits, toe pegs, crest pegs, batter boards, ramp designs)
- Monitor / control idling time, spotting time and cycle times of trucks and diggers.
- Identify problems quickly and take remedial action
- Liaise with peers to ensure equipment availability needed to optimize production
- Ensure the S/B and PIC’s have the resources to achieve set goals.
- Assist S/B with problem solving
- Deal with daily issues through coaching, training or other development actions.
- Do performance appraisals quarterly.
- Do probation assessments on new employees.
- Measure performance regularly by means of Assessments
- Provide feedback to the team on performance
- Ensure performance targets are met
- Ensure proper leave planning is done for subordinates
- Ensure compliance with HR policies.
- Maintain standards and procedures.
- Identify workplace issues and resolve them in a timely manner.
- Ensure effective utilization and allocation of equipment.
- Ensure the PIC ‘s & S/B’s have the resources / tools to achieve the targets.
- Grade 12 Certificate
- Bachelor of Science in Mining Engineering or Equivalent
- Valid Blasting Certificate
- First Aid Certificate
- Valid Driver’s Licence
- 5 years’ relevant experience in mining is required, (preferably 3 year’s supervisory experience)
- Comfortable working with machines, and mechanically adept
- Knowledge of mining rules and regulations
- Proven track record of supervising and managing people
To apply for this job please visit www.first-quantum.com.