According to the COMESA Review of the Informal Economy in Selected Countries (2022), most estimates agree that the informal sector in Sub-Saharan Africa accounts for 85 – 95% of the total labour force. “The OECD and ILO estimate that Zambia’s informal economy employs 87.5% of the country’s total workforce and a staggering 91% of women.” (COMESA report page 21)
We are building game-changing experience-based financial tools that increase access to credit for operators in the above economy.
For this reason, we are looking for pioneers, dreamers, artists, designers, thinkers, problem solvers, change drivers, action-oriented, agile-movers with a careful sense of urgency. People that have a deep desire to build something from the ground up. People that will point out that the emperor’s clothes have leaked his password.
The core job purpose is managing the end-to-end customer journey from loan origination, disbursement, and successful collection. This role will be based in Chawama market initially but will cover other areas as we evolve. As a loan officer, you will be the ambassador of the company.
Key outcomes include
- Selling loan products and meeting loan production targets
- Meeting and communicating with applicants using a language they understand and clearly explaining the risks and benefits, as well as all the terms of loan products
- Obtaining relevant information and evaluating applicants’ financial status, including credit history, debt-to-income ratio, and appraisal reports, to determine recommendations for loan approval
- Approving loans within delegated authority
- Maintaining current knowledge of all applicable lending regulations, the economy, market rates, vendors, and competitors
- Managing the pipeline by generating leads and referral business, and maintaining relationships with existing and past clients
- Maintaining a minimum rate of recovery of 90%
- Emphasising quality over quantity during loan application appraisal and client onboarding
- Other tasks will be assigned as per business needs and the evolution process
- Happy, hungry, helpful, and humble
- Strong ability to unlearn matched with an equally strong ability to learn
- Intellectually curious with excellent communication skills
- Critical thinking with a bias towards action
- Ability to work in a distributed team
Qualifications and experience
- Grade 12 certificate
- Diploma or Bachelor’s degree in any field
- 1 – 2 years of experience in the lending, banking, retail, or real estate industry
Submit your resume and cover letter as ONE DOCUMENT via this application form
In your cover letter, clearly highlight why you would like to join a financial services startup and how you would make a great addition to the team vis-a-vis our mission to overhaul access to credit in the informal sector
- It may not be possible to offer personalised replies to all applications. If you do not hear from us one month after the closing date, consider your application unsuccessful. This should not discourage you, keep soldiering on – you only need one yes.
- If you are shortlisted, the interview will be conducted on video call via Google Meet. Do not worry about wearing a suit or some fancy gear – wear your best attitude and show us how working with you will overhaul access to credit in the informal economy
- We will only conduct one interview and give feedback via email within two weeks after the interview.
- The initial contract will be for one year from the date of engagement. The contract will be renewable depending on performance.
Best wishes and see you in our inbox.