To provide support to the Head of Legal & Company Secretary through formulation and implementation of legal and governance strategy, effective management of legal risk and legal cost in the Bank. Assist the Head of Legal & Company Secretary on the operations of the Department through provision of governance services and legal counsel to all Business Partners. Attend to any other functions as may be assigned by the Head of Legal & Company Secretary from time to time
- Assist in the formulation and implementation of the Legal Risk strategy which will feed into the overall legal strategy of the Bank.
- Provide effective sound advice, strategic legal support and guidance to the management of the Business portfolio.
- Ensure the preparation and timely delivery of quality, accurate and informative reports to the Management.
- Review of agreements, transactions and other legal documents to ensure that the interests of the Bank are secured under those transactions.
- Vendor management of the Bank including the contract approval process for agreements and a database of all executed agreements
- Protect the Bank’s interest against legal liabilities through sound legal opinions.
- Provide legal solutions for the digital aspect of the Bank. Ensuring appropriate physical and online registers in your areas are maintained to establish audit trails.
- Manage disputes with potential litigation threat against the Bank and make recommendation for courses of action.
- Initiate and undertake litigation on behalf of the Bank when required
- Minimize loss arising from litigation
- Where required negotiate favourable fees with Outside Counsel
- Management of internal stakeholder and outside relationships
- Prepare Legal Reports and attend management committee meetings.
- Conduct legal risk trainings of key risk areas
- Identification, mitigation and management of legal risks inherent in or arising out of the business of the Bank.
- Training of business departments in the legal implications of their work with the aim of reducing risk.
- Initiate, improve and change processes to ensure compliance with all relevant laws, regulations, bank policies and procedures.
- Assist the Company Secretary with Board matters where applicable
- Attend to audit reviews in your portfolio or as directed by the Head of Legal & Company Secretary
- Participate in the budget process of the Bank by Monitoring litigation expenditure during the year and take action to maintain expenditure within budget
- Self-development – identify the formal self-development initiative per year
- Enhance liaisons with mainstream management of the Bank to enhance basic knowledge of the law and the impact various pieces of legislation
- Assist departments to provide training to staff on legal aspects of banking.
- Attend to any Clerical and administrative matters as may be assigned by the Head of Legal & Company Secretary from time to time
- To carry any other legal duties as directed by the Head of Legal and Company Secretary from time to time
Application Closing Date: 26/01/24