The main responsibility of the Legal Manager is to manage the legal risks affecting the organization and ensure that they are managed and resolved as required by the law or the needs of the business.
The Legal Manager serves as legal advisor and a resource on legal matters; issues of institutional procedure; negotiating and drafting agreements and contracts; managing litigation; and as an authority on corporate governance.
The Legal Manager is required to manage the legal function on a day-to-day basis
- Assess and manage all legal obligations and responsibilities of the Company to ensure that at all times the business of the companies is conducted within the law and regulatory requirements and that the legal function is aligned with the business objectives of the company.
- Assessing and managing all legal risks affecting the Company and ensure that Management is briefed about these risks and the options available to mitigate these risks.
- Check on the various aspects of the operations of the Company, advise on the legality of actions, and ensure compliance with the law. Bring legal issues and concerns to the attention of senior administration and assisting in developing policies to ensure compliance.
- Provide legal representation, advice, counsel, and opinions in all areas of law affecting the Companies, including ethics and compliance and regulatory issues.
- Offer legal guidance with regard to strategic decisions for the betterment and growth of the companies including acquisitions, disposals, joint collaborations etc.
- Conduct appropriate due diligence assessments with regard to company transactions.
- Receive and act upon all court summons, pleadings and demand letters served upon the companies.
- Manage, control and monitor instructions to and expenditure by external lawyers engaged to render legal services.
- Ensure that the Company is represented in court by competent advocates. Arrange, attend and direct strategy meetings with external lawyers on how to proceed. Keep a follow up on all the cases in which the Company is a party, to ensure quick and optimal resolution for the company.
- Generate and draft contracts and agreements that are compliant with the law, are aligned to company strategy and business principles, include appropriate and required clauses, and protect the company’s interests.
- Undertake legal review of and advise the companies regarding important legal developments, documents, agreements, policies and procedures.
- Give advice to the Company on labour and employment issues and compliance with relevant Labour Laws, Retirement Benefits Acts among other laws that may touch on employment.
- Ensure proper document management and archiving procedures are adopted, in compliance with the law and good business practices.
- Monitor and influence changes to the regulatory framework affecting the oil industry. Provide updates to the company’s management on the legislation and regulation that affects the company’s business and operations.
- Act as a focal point for implementing corporate governance policies.
- Conduct legal and compliance training to the Company’s employees and act as a resource on the interpretation of existing or proposed laws and regulations.
- Provide a full range of company secretarial services to Vivo Energy Mali; maintaining statutory registers; and lodging statutory notices and forms.
- Perform other projects and duties at the request of the Company’s management as assigned
Job Knowledge, Skills & Experiences:
- Minimum of Bachelor of law honors degree; post legal commercial qualifications an added advantage
- Over 5 years working experience that include the following areas:
- Retail and Commercial agreements,
- Distribution agreements,
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Property law and transactions,
- Dispute resolution and litigation,
- Labor law,
- Company law and secretarial practice.
- Broad knowledge of the law and the practical application thereof. He/she must also have a pragmatic approach and understand business and commercial issues as well as legal ones.
- Familiar with corporate governance and assurance structures and policies
- Familiar with the legislation, policies and agreements that make up the various regulatory frameworks affecting the oil industry.
- Maturity and composure to interact at Senior Management Level
To apply for this job please visit apply.workable.com.