African Institute for Development Policy (AFIDEP)
AFIDEP is a regional non-profit research and policy Institute whose mission is to institutionalize a culture of consistent use of evidence in public policy formulation and implementation to address various development challenges in Africa. Our work focuses on five thematic areas namely: Population Dynamics and Demographic Dividend, Health and Wellbeing, Transformative Education and Skills Development, Environment and Climate Change, and Governance and Accountability. The Institute is registered as a Non-Governmental Organisation in Kenya and Malawi where it has offices and in the USA as a 501c3 non-profit organization.
AFIDEP is implementing work in Zambia and in other African countries aimed at helping countries achieve increased and efficient use of domestic health financing with a focus on primary health care (PHC) and women’s and girls’ health (i.e. family planning (FP)/maternal, newborn, child, and adolescent health (MNCAH)). By combining evidence generation and translation, and advocacy, this work seeks to increase the use of evidence in decision-making on domestic health financing with a focus on PHC and FP/MNCAH. Some key interventions in this work include: 1) evidence generation and translation (for high-level policymakers, champions, and other policy maker influencers), 2) advocacy and accountability, 3) hands-on technical assistance and outreaches to policymakers, and 4) capacity strengthening to ensure sustained technical support, commitment, and action to increase domestic investment and effectiveness of resources for health with a focus on PHC/FP/MNCAH and women’s health. Zambia and a few other African countries are demonstrating leadership and commitment to address the huge health financing challenge on the continent by increasing domestic financing for health. This work is supporting African governments to implement their commitments to increase domestic financing for health, and efficiency in the use of health budgets.
The Role and Responsibilities
AFIDEP is looking for a Health Economist to support and coordinate the design and implementation of this work in Zambia. The role will involve working hand-in-hand with the Ministry of Health (MoH) and other government ministries, parliament, and relevant private sector and civil society stakeholders at both national and sub-national levels. The focus will mainly be on providing the technical assistance and data/evidence that governments need to inform and accelerate the implementation of their commitments and strategies to increasing domestic financing for health, and enhancing efficiency in the use of health budget allocations. The candidate will focus their support on improving PHC, which is the most cost-effective way to save lives, as well as FP/MNCAH. Specifically, the candidate will:
- To support the design and implementation of the health financing Programme within the Ministry of Health with support from AFIDEP.
- Work closely with senior leadership at the MoH to provide technical support needed to inform and accelerate Zambia’s implementation of its Health Financing Strategy.
- Support the design and conduct of analyses and modelling to generate data and evidence needed to inform government decisions on financing for health, as well as, enhancing efficiency in resource use.
- Present the data and evidence generated from these analyses above in high-quality technical briefs, reports, background papers, and presentations to high-level policymakers and other stakeholders.
- Provide technical support to government’s efforts in resource mobilization both domestically, including private sector engagement, and external financing to ensure health programs are financed more sustainably through diverse and innovative sources of funding.
- Design and implement a capacity strengthening plan for relevant MoH staff in analytical work, and data analysis, including costing, scenario modeling, budgeting, impact analyses, and other quantitative analyses that help assess opportunities to improve efficiency, effectiveness, and sustainability, as well as, make the case for sustained increments in government’s allocations to health.
- Support the design and planning of highly-productive policy dialogues with high-level policymakers, private sector, and civil society.
- Contribute to the monitoring, learning and evaluation of this to ensure sustained adaptation and integration of emerging lessons into the design of the work.
- Support the preparation of implementation reports to our funders who are supporting this work.
- PhD in economics or health economics, or other relevant disciplines, or Master’s degree in similar disciplines with more than 5 years of relevant work experience in Zambia.
- Demonstrated knowledge of health financing systems and related concepts, with an ability to review and analyze policies, strategies and plans in health financing and overall health systems.
- Excellent problem-solving, analytical, and quantitative skills, including attention to detail and experience in modeling using relevant statistical softwares.
- Strong communication skills, including preparation and delivery of compelling technical presentations, reports and other documents.
- Effective interpersonal skills, demonstrated ability to build strong professional relationships with a range of stakeholders, and excellent organizational skills.
- Proven ability to coordinate and manage multi-stakeholder and multi-country projects and timelines.
- Ability to work independently, set priorities, and handle multiple tasks concurrently.
- At least three years of senior-level and relevant experience in a demanding, results-oriented environment.
To apply: Please send a motivation letter indicating your suitability for the position and a detailed CV, which should include three relevant referees to: [email protected] not later than 9th February 2024. Include the job title in the email subject. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
To download the job description: CLICK HERE.
AFIDEP is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.