Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian non-governmental organization that advances children’s rights and equality for girls.
We believe in the power and potential of every child. But this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination. And its girls who are most affected. Working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners, we strive for a just world, tackling the root causes of the challenges facing girls and all vulnerable children.
We have been building powerful partnerships for children for 80 years, and are now active in more than 70 countries. Child protection is key in all that we do.
Working in Zambia since 1996, Plan International Zambia’s development and capacity building programmes focus primarily on Education, Health, Water and Sanitation, Economic Security and Youth Empowerment, including Child Protection and Participation. Plan International Zambia has Programme Areas (PAs) in; Central, Luapula, and Eastern Provinces including in Lusaka, where the Country Office is located
We are looking for experienced and vibrant self-starters to fill the following positions:
HEAD OF OPERATIONS (LUSAKA) – FIXED TERM CONTRACT
The Head of Operations (HoO) position will report directly to the Country Director (CD). The incumbent will assume direct responsibility and accountability for the overall management, effective support, oversight and development of departments covering Finance, Supply Chain and Administration (including Information, Communications and Technology – ICT), Safety and Security, to support the delivery of quality and integrated programming in line with the organizational standards, frameworks and procedures. The Head of Operations will lead these departments in ensuring the timely and quality delivery of the Plan Zambia’s country strategy. Supporting the CD, the HoO will undertake a senior internal and external representation role on the operations side with key stakeholders. The HoO will be a member of the Country Leadership Team (CLT) and will provide high-level strategic leadership to the office as a whole, working collaboratively with other CLT members.
- Contribute to the strategic development and management of Plan International Zambia(PIZ) in line with the Country Strategy (CS) in order to ensure that operations are an engaged and effective business partner for Programme departments to carry out quality programmes with excellent operational support.
- Provide overall leadership to the operations support services and institutionalize strategies to ensure that optimum support is provided to the Country Office and Programme Areas.
- Model our value-based leadership framework underpinned by our feminist leadership principles.
- Oversee the facilitation of internal and external audit missions and the addressing of audit actions.
- Oversee the development and implementation of up-to-date operation support systems, policies, procedures, guidelines to support in-country operations and ensure compliance of Plans global standards and donor requirements.
- Guide the heads of departments in the development of policies, procedures and oversee the rollout of corporate systems and applications.
- Coordinate with relevant Heads of Departments to ensure systems, processes are in place and comply with Plan global policies, standards, procedures and legal requirements in the areas of Finance, Supply Chain, ICT and Administration.
- HoO as the chair of the Security Review Team will provide oversight in security planning and management in the country, and ensure that all Plan offices have developed standard operating procedures (SOPs) and contingency plans consistent with global security policy and procedures.
- On a delegated basis, report timely and consistently all losses and incidents (theft, bribery, fraud, injuries etc.) while providing regular updates to the Global Hub (GH) and the Regional Hub (RH).
- Oversee the review of agreements and contracts to ensure compliance with Plan policies, Zambian laws and regulations.
- Together with relevant heads of departments, the HoO will participate in disaster preparedness planning and ensure that all action related to support functions are implemented.
- Ensure systems, procedures and capacities are in place to respond timely and effectively to humanitarian emergencies.
- Liaise with and communicate with government bodies, donors, other Plan offices and local and international agencies stakeholders – as required and directed by the Country Director
Educational Qualifications and Experience:
- A Master’s Degree/Professional qualification in Finance/Accounting.
- A minimum of ten (10) years proven progressive experience as a development professional in similar management or senior management roles with an INGO or likeminded organization.
- Demonstrable knowledge of Financial, Supply Chain and Administration (including ICT), Safety, Security and Compliance.
- Demonstrated track record in driving change and enabling high performing teams, with the ability to lead, motivate and develop others.
- Knowledge of key issues, trends, challenges and opportunities and their implications for organizations like Plan and its work.
- Practical knowledge of operations support for development and emergency response.
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), e-mail and internet.
- Strong knowledge of the requirements of donors’ compliance and grants management.
- Knowledge of Zambian geopolitical, countries laws, political, social and economic factors affecting development and humanitarian sectors.
- Understanding issues, principles, strategies and their root causes while working with Plan’s principles and a range of strategies/approaches to improve outcomes.
- Excellent relationship building skills – networking, influencing and stakeholder management skills.
- Ability to identify, analyze and monitor diverse, relevant external actors to work with and understand the purpose of working with them.
- Ability to influence power holders about the need for and benefits of addressing gender equality and inclusion, including being able to offer a range of evidence based solutions.
- Understands power imbalances and ways in which the organization may be reinforcing negative stereotypes and biases, as well as the impact these factors have on the safety of children and young people in all their diversity.
- Communicates effectively at a high level and with a range of appropriate styles for different audiences.
To apply, kindly send through your application letter, copies of NRC, Qualifications and CV, indicating day time telephone and/or mobile contacts clearly stating the job title of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org. Kindly note that only candidates who meet the above specifications and competencies should apply and applications should reach the undersigned not later than 10th June, 2021, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Hard copy applications will not be accepted.
All Applications should be addressed to;
The Country Human Resource Manager
Plan International Zambia
Private Bag 518X
Plot 87A Kabulonga road
We provide equality of opportunity and will not tolerate discrimination on any grounds. We foster an organizational culture that embraces and exemplifies our commitment to gender equality, girls’ rights and inclusion while supporting staff to adopt good practice, positive attitudes and principles of gender equality and inclusion.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.