World Vision Zambia
World Vision Zambia (WVZ) Limited is a faith-based Organization dealing with Relief aid, Development, and Advocacy dedicated to working with children, families, and communities to overcome poverty and injustice. WVZ is part of World Vision International and serves all people regardless of religion, race, tribe, or gender. We are currently working on 38 large-scale programs in over 30 districts in Zambia.
Position: Grants Finance Manager
Reporting to: Associate Director Finance
Purpose of the Position:
To provide strategic support and advice on grant accounting and management issues to World Vision Zambia, in particular, the Finance Director in program and operational areas where there are grants and non-sponsorship funding, in order to maintain the highest standards of grant accounting. To work closely with the sector teams and Finance Director in strategic resource mobilization through the preparation and review of grant/non-sponsorship budgets and periodic financial reports, and provide assistance to the program and operation staff as needed in an effort to build grant capacity within World Vision Zambia in view of grant funding resources amounting to over half of all resources received by World Vision Zambia
Grant Monitoring and Compliance
- Ensure that grant financial tracking/monitoring systems are established and maintained to comply with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), donor regulations and requirements and WVI procedures and policies
- Ensure that grant compliance with all donor requirements are met before and during implementation
- Continuously seek accuracy, efficiency and effectiveness in all areas of grant accounting
Resource mobilization through Grant Budgeting
- Support Sector heads in and coordinating the development of budgets for grant submissions in line with donor expectations as well as appropriate closure processes
- Give recommendations or advice on the internal budgets for grant/non-sponsorship funding to ensure consistency in coding
Accountability through Grant Financial Reporting
- Coordination of all financial reporting under the grant finance department
- Review the design for all grant/non-sponsorship financial reports in SunSystems/Vision Executive to achieve accuracy and efficiency of grant reporting
- Review all grant/non-sponsorship consolidated financial reports using the financial checklist and ensure timely posting to the FFR database.
Contributing to maintaining the integrity and fairness Cost Allocation (CAL)
- Establish and mainstream CAL allocations throughout WV Zambia with a specific focus on its implications to existing and future grants.
- Review CAL allocations on a quarterly basis or depending on the needs, such as mid-year review, grant closure and year end closing
- Monitor CAL allocations against budget to determine the need for reallocations if required
External Capacity Management through partnering and Sub granting
- Perform partner/sub grantees vetting to ensure their suitability to work with World Vision
- Liaise and meet with the partners/sub-grantees for the new proposal/new agreement made to ensure the initial process is in compliance with the grant/non-sponsorship requirements
- Regularly communicate with the partners/sub-grantees on grant financial management
Internal Capacity Management through Staff Development
- Design a performance monitoring/management standard for grant finance team to compliment the training process and inform performance evaluations and promotion decisions
- Develop and conduct grant management and compliance training and orientation for all grant related staff including the Sector/Operations/Project Managers and all accounting staff involved in grants
- Identify training needs of staff and ensure that appropriate training programs are carried out
Internal Audit Capacity
- Review and enhance the internal audit standards used for government grants. This includes evaluating both audit trends in grant funded projects and internal audit performance on an annual basis and apply lessons learned
Contribution to Risk and Capacity Assessment and management of National Office
- Filling in the grant approval protocol, a tool that assesses the suitability of a particular grant in view of the national capacity in terms of systems, staffing and structures
- Constantly review operations and activity implementation within grants and alert management for decision making where there is potential flouting of applicable regulatory environment
Qualifications: Education/Knowledge/Technical Skills and Experience:
- master’s degree (preferably MBA), bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or any finance related degree and at least between five and seven years’ senior level accounting experience.
- Three to five years of experience in grant accounting is required with a preference for USAID and other government grant experience.
- Relevant World Vision experience is preferred.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or Chartered Accountant would be desirable.
- Knowledge of SunSystems, PMQA, CAL Allocation Methodology and other computer related financial/accounting system and budgeting is necessary.
- He/She must have a good command of the English Language, both written and spoken.
- Cross-cultural sensitivity, flexible worldview, emotional maturity and physical stamina.
- Demonstrated capacity to function well in a team and contribute effectively to team efforts.
- Commitment to World Vision Core Values and Mission Statement and participation in devotions.
“World Vision Zambia is committed to the protection of children and adult beneficiaries from all forms of abuse and sexual exploitation. All employment is conditional upon the successful completion of all applicable background checks, including criminal record checks”.
Applications will close by 2 July 2021. Only those who meet the requirements will be contacted.
Women are strongly encouraged to apply; ONLY shortlisted candidates will be contacted!
To apply for this job please visit careers.wvi.org.