First Quantum Minerals
About the job
At First Quantum, we free the talent of our people by taking a very different approach which is underpinned by a very different, very definite culture – the “First Quantum Way”.
Working with us is not like working anywhere else, which is why we recruit people who will take a bolder, smarter approach to spot opportunities, solve problems and deliver results.
Our culture is all about encouraging you to think independently and to challenge convention to deliver the best result. That’s how we continue to achieve extraordinary things in extraordinary locations.
Job title: … Graduate, Quality Control – Casting Wheel (Anodes).
Site: … Kansanshi
Department: … Smelter
Section: … Secondary Smelting
Position reports to: … Shift controller- Anode Furnaces & Casting Wheel
Direct reports: … Shift Controller – Casting Wheel
Operate, monitor and control the Anode Casting Wheels (110 tph) and related plant equipment items by monitoring every single anode the number of defective anodes passing undetected through the quality control can be reduced significantly.
- This position will be required to adhere to all relevant requirements, policies, procedures and legal regulations pertaining to health, safety, environment and quality, as well as finance, human resources, and any other regulations as required by the company and relevant to the level of the role and responsibilities of the function.
- Ensure that the casting launders, casting wheels and the associated plant equipment items operate efficiently and safely within prescribed limits to achieve production targets.
- During casting, control the casting process from the casting control room
- Between casts, assist with the pre and post casting activities
- Ensure that the casting wheels are ready for casting when required
- Ensure that the casting operation is performed consistently, without regular interruptions
- Ensure that the anode copper quality exceeds the chemical and physical specifications
- Respond to alarms and process disturbances in a timely manner
- Operate safety systems such as Emergency Stop Systems in the event of an emergency
- Make process adjustments as directed by the Shift Controller and Metallurgists
- Clearly and accurately communicate the status of the casting wheels to others, i.e. field operators, engineering workers, other control room operators
- Maintain communication with upstream process units (Operator – Anode Furnace)
- Supervise the mould casting operations.
- Maintain an accurate operating log sheet using computerised or other systems
- Provide field operators with information and instructions as required to enable them to carry out their jobs safely and effectively
- Maintain copper set and temperatures
- Manage process samples and assays as required to control the smelter processes
- Anode inspection and quality control
- Check all anodes after every casting to identify the off-spec anodes
- Monitor the segregation of grade-A and Grade-B anodes
- Give feedback through reports and discussion with the senior staff
- Accounting of anodes after every casting, details on the physical count, grade-wise
- Co-ordinate with strapping and loading activities on downgrading anodes with defects and record them in the reports
- Involve in turn-around activities after casting and other field assistance during casting
- Actively seek more information and assistance from other sources as required to diagnose and correct any problems with operating equipment and processes (e.g. maintenance, metallurgists)
- Understand and identify all relevant plant equipment items, processes and control systems; be able to explain these clearly to others
- Train junior operators in the safe and correct operation of cast wheel and related equipment items
- Other duties as directed by the Shift Controller- Anode Furnace and Casting
- Tertiary Qualification in Chemical or Metallurgical Engineering or Equivalent
- Minimum 2 years’ Anode Quality control and casting wheel control room experience
- Proficient in the use of computers and standard computer applications such as Microsoft Excel
- Familiarity with typical process plant equipment such as pumps, machines and instrumentation
- Sound communication skills and the ability to write clearly and concisely
- Responsible and punctual approach to work
- Ability to follow instructions and to give instructions where required
- Good at implementing changes in operating practice
- Systematic monitoring and assessment skills
- High level of knowledge of plant equipment items and process
- Good problem solving ability
Visit our website and register for instant job alerts at careers.first-quantum.com
Follow us for the latest news at LinkedIn
If you are already a First Quantum employee and have access to the First Quantum network, log into First Quantum MINE > Careers to apply internally for this opportunity.
If you are an employee without network access, contact your Site Recruiter.
To apply for this job please visit firstquantum.wd3.myworkdayjobs.com.