About the job
USAID’s Advancing Food Fortification Opportunities to Reinforce Diets (USAID AFFORD) program is a critical investment in a safety net against micronutrient inadequacies through large-scale food fortification (LSFF). USAID AFFORD is designed to provide operational support to field Missions and other operating units of USAID, contributing to the goals of the U.S. government Global Food Security Strategy (GFSS) through the implementation of programming aligned with USAID’s LSFF Results Framework.
Using a whole-of-business approach, USAID AFFORD aims to increase the coverage of fortified foods to cost-effectively improve the quality of diets and contribute to safely reducing micronutrient inadequacies among populations in the targeted countries.
USAID AFFORD has four intermediate results (IRs):
IR 1: Strengthened LSFF enabling environment through the public sector
IR 2: Expanded and sustained LSFF interventions through private sector engagement
IR 3: Strengthened effectiveness of LSFF interventions and increased public and private sector accountability through civil society engagement
IR 4: Mobilized global commitment, leadership, and investment in support of LSFF
In September 2023, the USAID Mission in Zambia provided a scope of work to USAID AFFORD to provide support to LSFF work in Zambia.
USAID AFFORD seeks a Food Fortification Intern to support programming efforts in Zambia. Specifically, the Intern will work closely with the Zambia TPM and USAID AFFORDs Senior Technical Manager in assessments and in their work to provide technical assistance to food processors and the Government of Zambia.
- Duties and Responsibilities
The Food Fortification Intern will be based in the TechnoServe Zambia office and their work will be overseen by the TPM.
Specific activities include:
- Conduct literature reviews
- Collect data to inform programming (online, at offices, through interviews, etc)
- Help organize meetings of industry leaders, associations, and representatives and write summary reports
- Liaise with logistics teams to support TPM as needed
- Support the development of presentations for meetings and reports
- Ensure documentation of key lessons for disseminating locally and inputting into global lessons learned
- Support engagements with private sector
- Other duties as assigned by the TPM in support of the LSFF program
- Experience and Skills Required
- Minimum Bachelor’s degree in food science, food technology, or other relevant subject.
- Understanding of the food processing industry and the ecosystem within which it operates
- Fluent in English (written and spoken)
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Basic research skills (i.e. desk reviews, data collection)
- Ability to work in diverse teams, respectful of other cultures
- Strong writing skills to write concise, analytical reports to different audiences
- Good knowledge of Google Slides and/or PowerPoint
To apply for this job please visit recruiting.ultipro.com.