Website Frankfurt Zoological Society Zambia
Frankfurt Zoological Society conserves wildlife and ecosystems focussing on protected areas and outstanding wild places. FZS maintains long-term conservation programmes in Africa, South America, Asia, and Europe. The Africa Programme is FZS’ largest and oldest and is active in five focal countries: The Democratic Republic of Congo, Ethiopia, Tanzania, Zambia and Zimbabwe (www.fzs.org).
FZS Zambia (FZS-Z) has been active in the North Luangwa Ecosystem since 1986 and Nsumbu since 2017, working to conserve these globally important wilderness areas. FZS-Z supports effective and efficient protected area management, with a focus on law enforcement and community outreach with a focus on empowering host custodians in GMAs to manage their own resources. Particularly, the North Luangwa Ecosystem Programme (NLCP) has the mission of ‘Linking Livelihoods and Landscapes’. NLCP works using the following strategies:
1. Protect=Conserve=Preserve- This aims to implement robust and adaptive large landscape enforcement tactics and capability to protect, conserve, and preserve wildlife habitats and ecological services;
2. Empower=Educate=Enterprise- This aims to implement creative and beneficial initiatives to empower, educate and deliver enterprise opportunities for neighbouring communities and wider Zambian society;
3. Communicate=Connect=Change- This aims to implement focused messaging to communicate and connect with stakeholders and partners for effective and positive change; and
4. Structure=Systems=Support- This aims to implement a clear and enduring organization and financial structure with efficient systems to support a mentally and physically healthy team.
Learn more at https://fzs.org/en/projects about our conservation programme.
JOB DESCRIPTION: Finance and Administration Assistant (1 POSITION)
1. Job title:
Finance and Administration Assistant (FAA)
2. Position in the Organisation
The FAA reports to the Head of Finance and Administration (HoFA)
A competitive salary will be paid based on qualifications and experience
4. Job Purpose
The Finance and Administration Assistant will be based in Mpika. He/she will report to the FZS Zambia Head of Finance and Administration on a line function basis and to the Project Manager on a daily operational basis. They will be responsible for all bookkeeping and supporting, accounting and financial administration of FZS-Zambia sub-office and its associated activities.
These will include:
Cash Control/Accounts Payable
- Preparation of bank and cash paperwork before weekly payment runs.
- Ensure that all transactions are documented, approved and recorded, accompanied by appropriate supporting documentation and take appropriate action to obtain missing documentation
- Ensure all processed and paid documents are duly stamped as processed and/or paid
- Maintain petty cash ledger and prepare petty cash replenishment
- Prepare cash vouchers for cash collected and deposited to bank account
- Ensure that all cash at hand must be locked in a safe at all times.
- Prepare cash receipt vouchers for cash returned.
- Ensure cash and bank records are complying with FZS financial policy and procedures
- Adherence to allowance, advances, per diem’s policy
- Manage, maintain and update fixed asset register as and when new assets are purchased.
- Populate the fixed assets additions file to prep for audit.
- Maintain imprest request / personal expense claim and retirement records in soft copy, compile and check hard copies for authorisation
- Monthly review of all staff accounts on Abacus.
- Train and monitor staff re imprest requests, management and retirements thereof
- Manage staff loans and repayments
Stores and stock control
- Assistance with procurement according to FZS and donor procedures
- Goods received / delivery note checking
- Maintenance of FZS stores records, including workshop and DNPW Project sponsored equipment, through stock card management
- Input and update fuel analysis records
- Consolidate vehicle log book data and present results to relevant manager monthly
- Manage Project vehicle fleet road tax, insurance and fitness and ensure up to date at all times
- Work closely with Technical Operations Manager on physical counting of assets, stocks and property
- Prepare a stock count report on a monthly basis
- Manage ration procurement and management
- Other administrative tasks as requested
Month-End Tasks, Reporting and Recording
- Ensure that allocated service codes agree with Project Managers’ approval and the organisation’s chart of accounts and that all documents are posted to the accounting package with detail and accuracy.
- Ensure that data is posted on ABACUS on a weekly basis, and that the financial information is processed accurately and reliable reports are generated.
- Perform systems analysis to identify any irregularities (such as wrong posting) and propose immediate corrective actions to the HoFA
- Ensure that internal financial reports are generated accurately and disseminated as per the timetable.
- Ensure that soft copy and hard copy month end closing packages are signed, dated and filed properly and done within the due dates
- Support reporting requests from and regularly liaise with HoFA
- Support annual audit process. Retrieve documents needed for audits when requested.
- Assist Human Resources and the HoFA with the monthly payroll and maintain employee files on all staff in the project area. Verify the staff register and overtime and leave spreadsheets etc.
- Adherence to third party donor grant agreements and guidelines
- Liaison, reporting, fulfil obligations to CA for ARO/HQ reporting
- Document filing with appropriate supporting documentation; maintenance of separate files for sequential payments of bank and cash transactions in respective currencies, for imprest request and retirements, employee loans, donor contracts as well as purchase orders, goods received notes, goods issue notes, VAT exemptions, and equipment donations and disposals; and in addition a file detailing all ledger adjustments will be maintained, that includes explanation and authorisation by a Project Manager, Regional Coordinator, or Head of Finance and Administration.
Qualifications and experience – required:
- Tertiary level qualification
- 5+ years’ experience in a bookkeeper role
- Experience with computer software (including accounting software)
- Fluent written and spoken English
- Organised and ability to be able to prioritise
- Ability to demonstrate high degree of attention to detail, accuracy and integrity
- Willingness to work in remote area with limited access to amenities
- Willingness to work with an international team
- Show high flexibility and willingness in carrying out other support duties as requested by management, thereby ensuring efficient running of project activities.
Qualifications and experience – desired:
- Experience working with NGOs and donor-funded projects
- Degree in Accounting , Licentiate Level of ZICA/ACCA
6. Behavioural Competencies
- Teamwork: Cooperate, support and work well with others to achieve project goals. Share information, and contribute effectively to FZS` objectives and solving problems.
- Planning and organising: Plan and organise complex activities and work on multiple tasks. Determine actions, time frames and required resources for projects and monitor progress. Set goals and budget estimates effectively, and manage time effectively.
- Problem analysis: Pointing out problems, recognising important information and establishing connections between various data. Tracing potential causes for problems.
- Initiative: Recognising opportunities and acting on them. Pro-active, self-starting rather than passively accepting; actively influences events.
Only candidates who meet the specified qualifications should apply. Please submit an application with the following:
1. Cover Letter – 1-page description of why you are suitable for the FAA role
2. Curriculum Vitae (CV) – 4 pages describing your experience, qualifications and 3 traceable referees.
Send via email the stated documentation only (5 pages) (NO NRCs, NO Driving Licences, NO certificates) to [email protected] make sure to indicate in the email subject line the position you are applying for or drop your applications at the Frankfurt Zoological Society / Department of National Parks and Wildlife Offices in Mpika.
Applications should be addressed to: The Head of Finance and Administration, Frankfurt Zoological Society Zambia, P.O Box 450189, Mpika.
Closing Date: 4th October 2021 at 23:59.
Applications submitted after the deadline will not be considered.
Only shortlisted candidates will be notified. FZS-NLCP is an equal opportunity employer, and everyone is free to apply.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.