260 Brands (Seba Foods Zambia Ltd.)
The Extension Officer will report directly to the Regional Manager and will be responsible for supporting with several large-scale project promoting small holder organic agriculture in the Northern, Luapula, Eastern, Central and Lusaka provinces of Zambia in partnership with 260 Brands, a consumer food manufacturer which processes, markets and distributes soya and maize-based consumer food products.
260 Brands currently works with 2,500 small holder farmers in the areas above, and aims to partner with 5,000 this upcoming season and 12,000 in the following season – through farmer recruitment, training in organic farming, organic inputs financing, follow up farmer field monitoring and guaranteed off-take of organic soya at a premium price.
The roles are based in various locations including Central province, Lusaka, Eastern, Northern and Luapula.
1. Recruitment of small holder farmers based on various requirements set by Regional managers including ability of small holder farmer to carry out organic farming
2. Carry out relevant community meetings to inform the small holder farming community of relevant updates, spread awareness of 260 Brands’ procurement activities and sensitize small holder farmers on various matters
3. Distribute inputs (organic seed, inoculant etc) to small holder farmers
4. Lead and facilitate training with small holder farmers on organic farming methods and climate smart agriculture
5. Closely monitor farmer fields (making numerous visits each season), provide follow up training support to farmers and develop relationships with lead farmers and farmer groups
6. Create farmer profiles via use of a Digital App and enter farmer info as required
7. Report on farmer field practices via use of a Digital App and support farmers with organic certification
8. Conduct aggregation and procurement of crops from small holder farmers in organic soya, among others, during harvest season; and carry out data entry of relevant info into Digital App
9. Monitor and gather impact data in the field to ensure donor reporting requirements are met
10. Provide project updates on a consistent basis to Regional Managers
1. Diploma in Agriculture or equivalent
2. Language: Fluent in English, Bemba and Nyanja
3. 2 years relevant work experience in the agricultural sector as an extension officer
4. Extensive knowledge of organic farming and organic certification requirements
5. Extensive knowledge of small-scale agribusiness and farming
Skills: Excellent coordination, training and communication skills
6. Be willing to relocate in Central, Lusaka, Eastern, Northern and/or Luapula province if required
7. Familiarity with Automated Out grower management systems (AOMS) in the form of digital apps, for creating farmer profiles, inputting farmer info and streamlining procurement operations
8. Demonstrates a positive and resilient attitude towards challenges
9. High level of computer literacy with a strong command of Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel and PowerPoint).
Method of Application
For all interested candidates, please email a CV and relevant qualifications to [email protected] with ‘Extension Worker’ in the subject line.
Closing Date: 26th September, 2022.