Yalelo is seeking a highly analytical, meticulous and hands-on Environmental and Social Specialist with extensive experience in Environmental & Social Management.
Location: The role will be primarily based at the Yalelo farm in Siavonga but will also require periodic travel nationwide.
Main Job Purpose
Yalelo Zambia is a commercial aquaculture fish farm producing Nile Tilapia in Zambia and is part of the FirstWave Group of companies which implement an Environmental and Social Management System (ESMS) that meets international best practice standards.
The Environmental and Social (E&S) Specialist will be responsible for the overall implementation and maintenance of the Environmental and Social Management System (ESMS) for the company. The position will afford an opportunity to implement both Group and Company policies and procedures as part of a class leading ESMS and discover opportunities for improving conditions on site. The ability to communicate well with a multidisciplinary workforce as well as authorities and external stakeholders is essential. The E&S Officer will report directly to the Group E&S Manager.
The Right-Fit candidate will:
- Coordinate the overall implementation and maintenance of the Environmental and Social Management System ESMS) and the Environmental and Social Management Plan (ESMP) to manage potential E&S risks and impacts and continually improve the sustainability of our operations;
- Managing the environmental permitting requirements, maintaining permits, licenses, keeping them all up to date and undertaking reporting as required;
- Managing E&S related regulatory requirements, including liaison with relevant national and local regulatory authorities;
- Undertake and document regular site inspections to monitor compliance with environmental licenses, permits, other applicable local legislation, the ESMP and other relevant E&S requirements including international standards of best practice, including amongst others the IFC Performance Standards and World Bank Group EHS Guidelines;
- Coordinate and support stakeholder engagement with external stakeholders, especially affected communities and ensuring accurate, diligent and timely capture and filing of records related to all community and other stakeholder engagement;
- Implement the Grievance Mechanism procedure ensuring that all complaints are recorded, investigated, tracked and closed out timeously.
- Ensure that teams on site understand the applicable E&S policies, guidelines, protocols and standards required to manage social and environmental impacts and/or risks adequately and facilitate implementation through appropriate ESMS tools and mechanisms;
- Ensuring that on-site contractors are meeting the required E&S standards;
- Reporting environmental incidents and non-conformance (spills, impacts, legal transgressions, etc.) as well as corrective and preventive actions taken via the ESMS reporting system. This includes investigation and formal incident investigation reports for all medium and major environmental incidents;
- Participating in bi-weekly E&S meetings with the Group E&S Manager;
- Reviewing policies, procedures and management plans and updating them on a continuous basis;
- Coordinating weekly E&S compliance reporting for all sites Nationwide;
- Compiling Monthly E&S Reports;
- Compilation of annual performance assessment reports in line with Investor requirements with support of the Group E&S Manager;
- Supporting the Lab team with environmental water quality monitoring, including analysis and reporting and identification of corrective measures to address any water quality concerns or exceedances to the applicable water quality guidelines;
- Support the Learning & Development team to implement an E&S training and awareness program including site induction, E&S toolbox talks and other trainings for employees, visitors and contractors;
- Undertake internal and external stakeholder engagement, inclusive of meeting participation and provision of subject matter expert direction and guidance where required;
- Initiation and project management of social projects;
- Participation in ESMS management review conducted by the Group E&S Manager.
Our Environmental and Social Specialist should have:
- A reputable qualification in either Science, Environmental Engineering or Environmental Studies, relevant to the professional duties to be undertaken;
- Industry Experience: 5 years’ work experience in Environmental and Social management including implementation of E&S Management systems;
- Experience identifying environmental/social risk and issues and developing mitigation measures to ensure compliance with good international industry practice;
- Excellent working knowledge of all Zambian E&S Legislation and regulations pertaining Environmental and Social aspects;
- Training and experience Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA), Risk Assessment and other environmental assessment instruments is preferred and will be an added advantage;
- Familiarity and experience implemented International Best Practice standards, particularly IFC and World Bank guidelines and standards;
- Familiarity with ISO a management systems including ISO 9001, ISO 14001:2015, ISO 45001; ISO22001:2018 is an added advantage;
- Excellent Computer literacy skills
- Ability to work well independently and in a team-based environment;
- Ability to work a schedule outside business hours and/or flexible shifts.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work in a team.
- Honesty: Must always convey accurate data to management. Honesty is critical to help manage and problem solve any issues.
- Multi-tasking: Must be able to work in a fast-paced environment and follow procedures exactly, every time.
- Communication: Demonstrate effective communication and professionalism at all levels. Must be able to effectively communicate in English (both written and verbal).
- Great Attendance: Must be able to maintain attendance (48 hours/week) and work with limited supervision.
- Judgment: Demonstrate professional judgment, relate all information and data to management. 100% accuracy expected and must be prepared to discuss any issues that deviate from normal laboratory procedures.
- Flexibility: Adapts to changing business needs, conditions and work responsibilities.
If this is YOU, Yalelo wants to hear from you today!!!
To apply for this job please visit yalelo.breezy.hr.