Zambia Railways Limited (ZRL)
Zambia Railways Limited (ZRL) is wholly owned by the Government of the Republic of Zambia through the Industrial Development Corporation (IDC) The Company was incorporated in 1982 and is mandated under the Railways Act of 1984 to operate both rail passenger and freight trams. ZRL’s main operations domain is Mulobezi to Chililabombwe, and Chipata to Mchinji covering almost 1,200km. The Company also provides train operations beyond its borders, through the respective railway administrations and connects to nearly all the ports in the SADC region. The company’s connectivity is increasing as more rail networks are planned to connect through the Zambia Railways Limited rail network. The company is inviting applications from strategic, visionary and focused Zambian nationals to lead the organisation into a dynamic and technologically advanced rail transportation hub in the region for the following positions.
Responsible for the finance and accounting function of the Company and providing direction and leadership for the Directorate of Finance
- Secure funding for the recapitalization of Zambia Railways Limited.
- Timely publication of Audited accounts.
- Formulation and implementation of financial policies and financial procedure manuals.
- Report to the supervisor on Management of efficiency statistics such as debtors days, and asset turnover, etc.
- Review financial environment and provide reports.
- Track ZRL’s financial status, identify areas of improvement and provide recommendations to the supervisor and Management
- Establish and implement cost and budget control systems.
- Review both internal and external audit reports and provide guidelines on strategies to be implemented.
- Financial Systems development, implementation and maintenance
- Oversee the maintenance and update ZRI.’s asset register.
- Adherence to guiding Financial Acts.
- Ensure that the department is fully automated.
- Develop ZRL’s annual corporate budget,
- Revenue/debt collection
- Improve the company’s net income position
- Guide and monitor reduction in operating cost
- Develop realistic annual departmental expenditure budgets.
- Improve ZRL’s cash flow position.
- Improve employee productivity.
- Develop strategies to increase returns on investment and profitability.
- Ensure variable cost are in line with output or production.
- Ensure departmental KPIs are met
- Reduce exposure to Enterprise risks
- Management of creditors.
- Ensure satisfaction of shareholders.
- Ensure satisfaction in internal and external stakeholders
- Liaise with the procurement department in purchase and payment for goods and
- Help maintain industrial harmony.
- Manage and maintain a cordial business relationship with the IDC Group of Companies.
- Provide financial information to other departments for appropriate decision. making.
- Ensure compliance to Governing laws.
- Ensure compliance to Governing laws.
Leadership And Human Resource Management
- Ensure that employees m the department are equipped with the right material for execution of jobs
- Ensure that employees in the department have the right skills for their job responsibilities
- Facilitate training opportunities to bridge skill gaps
- Identify and develop talent in employees
- Ensure skills are retained through identification of individuals for succession planning.
Carry out appraisal quarterly, bi-annual, and annual for immediate subordinates.
- Conduct program for mindset change and team building.
- Recommend for counselling of individuals
Innovation And ICT
- Develop and recommend cost saving technical solutions.
- Create an environment for departmental innovations.
- Recommend to Management new, effective, and efficient technologies.
- Benchmark with other railway administrations on new technologies and recommend the same to ZRL through scheduled reports.
- Advanced computer skills in Excel, Word, PowerPoint and knowledgeable in financial modelling
- Excellent knowledge and user at a very high proficient level of virtual communication tools-Zoom, Teams, etc
- Numerical Analytical and Financial skills including financial modelling
- Critical thinking and Problem solving
- Communication and negotiation skills
- Commercial and business acumen.
- Performance and appraisal knowledge.
- Knowledge of rules, regulations and procedures.
- Team building.
- Talent management.
- Leadership and Supervisory skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Full grade 12 certificate (50 levels) with at least five credit
- A bachelor’s degree in Finance or Accounting with ACCA, CIMA, CA or equivalent.
- A master’s degree is an added advantage.
- At least 12 years work experience with 10 years’ experience in a senior finance position.
- Fellow Membership to ZICA or a relevant professional body is a must.
Terms of Offer:
An attractive remuneration package commensurate with qualifications and responsibilities of the position will be negotiated with the right candidates.
Interested candidates should apply no later than 9th February 2024 and should enclose their Curriculum Vitae (CV), Academic & Professional Certificates, contact details of at least three references and copy of their Zambian National Registration Card
Applications should be addressed to:
The Board Chairperson
Zambia Railways Limited
Shitima House, 1″ Floor
Kafue River Avenue
P.O. Box 80935
Attention: Company Secretary
Emailed applications should be sent to mwendabai.mwalusi.com.zm.
Zambia Railways Limited is an Equal Opportunity Employer.