Healthy Learners is an award-winning non-profit organization committed to improving the health of children in Zambia and beyond. We partner directly with the government and local communities in Zambia so that school children can stay healthy, learn effectively and have a brighter future. School-aged children in low resource settings suffer from a high burden of disease and lack access to even basic healthcare, which causes otherwise preventable and curable illnesses to frequently result in life-long health challenges or disability. In the short term, these illnesses contribute to school absenteeism, poor academic performance and high drop-out rates. In the long term, they undermine physical, cognitive and emotional development and hinder economic prosperity.
Healthy Learners is working with the Zambian Government to bridge this gap through our unique model of school-based community health. By training teachers in community health and leveraging innovative diagnostic and data analytic technology, we are able to make schools entry points into the public healthcare system. As a result, children now receive medical attention in substantially greater numbers, improving health outcomes and reducing absenteeism. We currently serve 300,000 students across Lusaka, Choma and Ndola, and we are working with the Zambian government to scale nationally.
Healthy Learners is built on a solid foundation of strong operations, a capable team and a robust culture. As we prepare to enter an exciting period of accelerated growth, we are looking for a talented, driven and passionate Data Management Analyst. This position will work closely with the Monitoring, Evaluation, Research and Learning (MERL) Senior Manager to create and maintain a system for capturing, organizing, routing and visualizing data for optimal programmatic decision making.
The Data Management Analyst will be responsible for the management and integrity of our data systems. The successful candidate will create and implement standardized data management procedures, oversee the installation, security, and potential upgrade of our data systems, and support a robust data analysis process.
This is a hands-on position, and a successful candidate should be excited about managing and leveraging data for decision making and be passionate about the mission of Healthy Learners.
- Support the development and own implementation of proactive methodology for effective data management by collecting, integrating, analyzing and reporting on disparate data sources across various data collection platforms.
- Improve and customize current data solutions to meet organizational requirements; develop and implement new data solutions as needed.
- Design and maintain data management solutions with both front-end and back-end users in mind.
- Build workflows between multiple SaaS applications.
- Interact with Management, IT, and Program personnel to gather data management requirements and construct the necessary quality control procedures.
- Implement methodology and standard procedures on backend data flow.
- Clean data and perform quality checks/data validation within the data management system.
- Perform periodic data quality reviews for internal and external data.
- Determine root cause for data integrity gaps resulting from previously uncontrolled migrations in
- order to provide appropriate data resolution and remedy process.
- Support Management to develop and maintain best practices to ensure data are appropriately
- secured from security breaches.
- Perform database maintenance, migration and upgrading of software as necessary.
- Work with Management to establish and update database documentation, including data standards, procedures and definitions for a data dictionary.
- Ensure timely resolution of queries and data issues.
- Keep up to date with developments and trends in data management.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Work closely with the MERL Senior Manager to perform queries, extract data, and create fields to support data-informed decision-making.
- Perform data analysis and investigation and generate reports for program or partner requests.
- Analyze business objectives and develop data solutions to meet organizational needs.
- Build and manage data analytics tools to provide actionable insights into program performance and efficiency. This includes, but is not limited to, dashboard visualizations and reports in Tableau or similar data visualization platforms.
- Work with the MERL Manager to develop and document the standard data reporting processes.
- Collaborate with other teams in report enhancements and modifications activities.
This is an extraordinary opportunity for a data pipeline builder and data whiz who enjoys optimizing data systems and building them from the ground up. The Data Management Analyst will partner with the MERL Senior Manager and Vice President of Operations on data initiatives. S/he will create and strengthen data storage and analysis systems in order to enable further scale-up of a proven program with the potential to improve the lives of millions of children.
Qualifications and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in management information systems (MIS), information systems, information technology, statistics or related field.
- At least 4 years of experience in database management.
- Working familiarity with a variety of relational data management systems.
- Advanced working SQL knowledge and experience working with query authoring (SQL).
- In-depth knowledge of best practices around data management technologies, data architecture and data security.
- Experience building relational databases and optimizing data pipelines, architectures and data sets (Snowflake or other cloud-based database a plus).
- A successful history of manipulating, processing and extracting value from large disconnected datasets.
- Strong, demonstrated experience working in Microsoft Excel.
- Strong understanding of and experience working with automations through APIs.
- Experience performing analysis on large internal and external datasets and processes to answer specific performance questions and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Experience using various data analytics and visualization tools (e.g. PowerBi, Tableau, R, Stata, Tableau a plus).
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Possesses humility, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven and self-directed.
- Ability to operate effectively as part of a multi-cultural and dynamic team.
- Ability to operate as an effective tactical and operational thinker.
- Ability to work in a dynamic, entrepreneurial environment.
- Ability to thrive in an atmosphere that demands and rewards innovation, with a high bar for commitment and performance.
- Conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines, and communicating both internally and externally in a timely and responsive manner.
- Strong analytic skills related to working with unstructured datasets.
- Strong project management and organizational skills.
- Ability to work under limited supervision.
- Passion for Healthy Learners’ mission and vision.
How to Apply: Send your CV and cover letter that states why you think you should be selected for this job, to The People and Culture Manager, Lusaka, email [email protected]
Your Subject line should read: [Position you are applying for] application – [Your name], e.g. Data Management Analyst application – Mary Banda.
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.