Zambia sugar PLC
Applications are invited from suitably qualified and experienced persons for the position Crop Manager. The position reports to the Agriculture Director and operates within the agriculture function.
The successful candidate will be responsible for Providing direction, technical guidance and leadership in crop production and removal to ensure alignment with strategic plan and sustainable long-term growth and Through interface with Optimisation, Agric Engineering and GEA, direct and embed the “Illovo Way in sugar cane management” to ensure Illovo is the best-in-class sugar producer in the Country.
Key Performance Areas
- Drive operational excellence by making informed trade-offs and driving initiatives that will deliver greatest yields at optimal cost and quality levels.
- Adopt and embed agreed best practices, frameworks, minimum standards, and processes for all aspects of crop production (and removal where relevant)
- With Group CoE’s identify best practices (internal & external) and review policies and procedures to improve yield and financial performance.
- Contribute to reviewing Standards and operating procedures to sustainably improve yield and financial performance.
- Achieve yield forecasts (together with farm supervisors), ensuring that farming (and crop removal where relevant) activities are prioritised and planned in a systematic and cost-effective way to optimise profitability.
- Provide alignment between Crop Production Farms plans and Factory production Crush plans to achieve budget cane volumes and quality in line with S&OP
- Coordinate and approve annual crop production and harvest plans with farm managers, including crop establishment and husbandry across estate.
- Develop, monitor, and manage cane production budget and resource plan, with inputs from farm managers and service departments.
- Drive rigorous performance management, biased towards rewarding impressive performance and compliance with critical behaviours, and including managing consequences where required.
- Develop and implement a programme to Identify and address problems and improvement opportunities with Farm Managers
- Identify and implement sustainability initiatives such land and water conservation to prevent soils erosion, soil degradation, pollution, and invasive weeds and to improve water footprint and quality.
- Drive synergies across the group, effectively partnering with optimisation function and group counterparts to identify, share and embed opportunities for optimisation.
- Provide input into business cases for key capital projects in Agriculture and support delivery.
- Oversee effective talent and performance management and build a strong leadership team and talent pipeline within crop production, by coaching, mentoring and guiding farm supervisors.
- Identify and monitor KPIs and balanced scorecards, track performance and flag any issues with individuals.
- Promote and adhere to Illovo’s procedures, policies, and guidelines, including, without limitation, those relating to SHERQ, Competition Law and Anti-Bribery and Corruption (ABC)
Minimum specifications / Requirements areas
- Bachelor’s degree or Diploma in Agriculture / Agricultural Development / Agricultural Engineering.
- 10 years’ experience in sugar cane agriculture and crop removal, including minimum of 5 years in agricultural operations at a middle-management level, responsible for a minimum of 3000ha.
- Proven history of effectively developing and implementing strategies through managing budgets, people, and resources to meet business KPIs.
- Good business acumen and agricultural expertise, with ability to anticipate, interpret and respond to changes impacting on all aspects of crop management.
- A formal business/commercial qualification would be an advantage.
- Strong agriculture data analysis skills
All interested in applying for this position, please submit your detailed CV & copies of relevant qualifications, ID/ Passports in PDF format as a single document, for the attention of HR Business Partner: Nakambala to [email protected] stating clearly the position applied for- Crop Manager.
All internal employees are expected to complete Internal Application Form and obtain relevant signatures when applying for vacancies. No hard copies applications or phone calls will be accepted.
Closing date for applications: 14th November 2023 at 17:00hrs.
All applicants may be required to complete pre-employment checks (qualification, credit, security, background, and medical assessments) as part of the recruitment process where applicable.
If you have not been contacted within 4 weeks after the closing date, please accept that your application was unsuccessful.