Website AKROS Research
Akros is a cutting-edge organization that establishes data-driven systems that improve the health and wellbeing of disadvantaged communities. We pride ourselves in our ground-level knowledge of the health systems where we work, and our ability to provide novel, lasting solutions implemented in developing regions.
Akros Research is supporting a 3-year program, funded by the Mastercard Foundation and in partnership with the Africa CDC, to increase Covid19 vaccine uptake in Africa. This initiative, called Saving Lives and Livelihoods, includes multiple components and partners working to procure, distribute, and promote vaccine uptake in a safe manner. As a part of this consortium Akros Research will support Africa Union members states in the Eastern and Southern African regions to strengthen COVID-19 vaccine safety surveillance systems.
The Country Manager will support member countries, in line with pre-defined microplans, to improve their safety surveillance systems. This support may range from ensuring administrative procedures are in place to fund local supervision and training activities to providing technical assistance to improve adverse events following immunization (AEFI) and adverse events of special interest (AESI) data acquisition, storing and sharing process to identifying consultants to provide pharmacovigilance expertise. The Country Manager will need to be detail-oriented in their administrative requirements, will need to be adaptable and creative to support activity identification, and will need to diplomatically interact with member state representatives on behalf of the project.
- In coordination with project senior management and member state points of contact, oversees and leads the implementation of country-based activities defined in approved member state microplans.
- Manages local processes and activities to ensure the project is adding value and contributing high quality technical support.
- Engages stakeholders in assigned countries to understand user requirements for the regional, pharmacovigilance reporting platform.
- Supports creative problem solving at the country level to identify activities to improve safety surveillance data reporting and investigation.
- Travels to countries to oversee implementation and engage member state representatives.
- Manages a team of local consultants and ensures each consultant appropriately documenting activities and collecting necessary administrative data.
- Master’s degree (highly preferred) in health informatics, data analytics, pharmacovigilance, vaccinology, or related field
- Minimum of 5 years of experience managing informatics or public health programs in East or Southern Africa
- Previous experience with project and organizational representation to the Ministry of Health at national/regional/local levels is required.
- Self-starter who will thrive through exemplifying ownership and initiative against complex and challenging delivery schedules
- Excellent technical writing, quantitative and critical thinking skills
- Excellent skills computer skills with fluency in Excel, Word, PowerPoint
- Candidate should be culturally adaptable and sensitive
- English fluency required. Additional competencies in French, Portuguese, Swahili or Amharic desired.
- Demonstrated ability to operate with minimal instruction in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated ability to productively communicate remotely
Due to the nature of the project, Akros is limiting project staff members to those who have been vaccinated for Covid19 or those who are able to provide a valid medical exemption for Covid vaccination. This documentation will be required before commencing work.
Location and Term
This is a remote position with extensive travel required. The initial contract will be for a 1-year term.
This position reports directly to the Data Systems Support Manager, who will review and approve time records.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Candidates are encouraged to apply early. To apply, please submit a cover letter and CV with references to [email protected] with “Application: SLL Country Manager” as the email’s subject line.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.