John Snow Inc
JSI Research and Training Institute, Inc. (JSI) is a public health organization that is committed to improving the health and well-being of underserved and vulnerable people and communities throughout the world, and to providing an environment where people of passion and commitment can pursue this cause. JSI seeks highly qualified and accomplished public health leaders and staff for its United States Agency for International Development (USAID) supported DISCOVER-Health Project. The USAID DISCOVER-Health project aims to improve the lives of Zambians by ensuring equitable access to and use of high-quality HIV, MNCH, FP and RH services and products at the district and community levels. The Project also supports Zambia in accelerating the national rollout and scale-up of COVID-19 vaccination and the COVID-19 response.
The Compliance Manager will work closely with finance and operations staff as well as all project technical staff and partners, to ensure that project policies and procedures are understood, consistently applied, documented, monitored, controlled and evaluated by staff in Lusaka and Regional offices. In addition, he/she will audit financial reports from Regional offices, as well as field accounts before sending them to JSI/Boston. The Compliance Manager will report to the Deputy Project Director, Finance & Operations.
Mode Of Application
Please send a written application via email to [email protected]. Your application should consist of a cover letter and a detailed CV, including full addresses and contact telephone numbers. Please indicate the position you are applying for in your cover letter and also give names, addresses and contact telephone numbers of three referees.
The closing date for applications is February 17, 2023 @ 5:30 pm EST.
Only candidates meeting the minimum requirements will be contacted. If you have not heard from us within 3 weeks after the closing date, kindly assume that your application was not successful.
JSI Research & Training Institute Limited is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer committed to workplace diversity. We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all qualified applicants and employees without regard to age,
race, color, national origin, ancestry, creed, religion, gender, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, sexual preference, genetic information, political affiliation, or military status (special disabled veterans or veteran status) in any employment decisions.
JSI is a child-safe organization, and the safety and well-being of children is a priority of our organization. We have robust recruitment procedures to ensure that all staff are suited to work with the children served by our programs.
- Create a culture of compliance for all USAID DISCOVER-Health staff, through clear and effective communication, training on policies and procedures and timely and effective feedback to staff;
- Ensure thorough familiarity with JSI manuals and resources;
- Ensure policy and procedure manuals are up-to-date, issued and signed off on by staff (liaising with HR or other counterparts);
- Coordinate roll out of any policy updates or process clarifications in coordination with Director Operations, Finance Director and Regional Finance Managers including fraud prevention, operations, and finance policies;
- Conduct trainings and/or technical assistance for staff across the project in JSI policy, finance and operations, donor rules and regulations;
- Review and monitor all internal control tools operating in all USAID DISCOVER-Health offices to ensure accurate reporting, compliance with all rules, regulations and project policy and safeguard project resources (inventory and assets); Identify gaps and propose revisions in internal controls and monitor their implementation and effectiveness.
- Routinely visit Regional and other project offices as required to ensure that policies and procedures are understood and consistently applied and documented and that staff implement sound financial and operating systems in accordance with JSI, USAID DISCOVER-Health and USAID regulations;
- Conduct periodic reviews of Finance, HR and Operations departments (including Regional Offices) work practices and systems and work with the team to s to strengthen Project and interdepartmental office work procedures;
- Spot check transactions to source documents – including mobile money transactions and payroll as well as other transactions on a monthly basis;
- Submit monthly reports to the Deputy Director of Finance and Operations on the status of internal controls across finance departments (HQ and regional), HR and Operations highlighting any high risk areas, challenges or problems that may arise;
- Review the internal controls for all regional offices and provide recommendations.
- Coordinates the process of completing annual file checklist ensuring compliance from all departments;
- Periodically travel to facilities and clinic sites to assess status of USAID DISCOVER-Health support including spot checks of inventory and documentation;
- Liaise with staff to identify any bottlenecks or process improvements possible within JSI policy;
- Serve as a member of Code of Conduct/Child Safeguarding teams; and
- Any other tasks assigned by supervisor.
- Bachelor’s degree required, Master’s degree in Management, Finance or related field preferred;
- Certified Public Accountant/Chartered Accountant Certificate is strongly preferred;
- Minimum 7 years’ experience in financial management and/or operations;
- Experience with US Government-funded projects and acquisition rules and regulations;
- Experience conducting audits with a professional audit firm is strongly preferred;
- Demonstrated competence to assess priorities and manage a variety of activities in a time-sensitive environment and meet deadlines with attention to detail and quality;
- Demonstrated attention to detail, ability to implement procedures, meet deadlines and work independently and cooperatively with team members;
- Strong time management/task prioritization skills;
- Excellent oral and written English communication skills; and
- Computer literacy required (especially Excel, MS Word and Windows).