Mopani Copper Mines Plc
CAREER OPPORTUNITY – CHEMIST
Mopani Copper Mines PLC has operations in Mufulira and Kitwe on the copperbelt Province in Zambia. The Company’s Success has been as a result of its Focused approach to improvement and the mutually beneficial relationships enjoyed with stakeholders-an important sector of which is its employees.
The Company Seeks the Services of a Chemist x1
The Responsibilities of this role will include but not limited to the following:
- Conduct investigations on operational deviations and analytical procedures on a daily basis and report findings to the Section Head.
- Regularly carry out investigations and research on methods in use with a view to develop methods and report findings to the Section Head
- Provide technical guidance to laboratory personnel to ensure that the section’s operation’s operations are carried out accurately, efficiently and promptly to maintain optimum production conditions in all user departments
- Ensure that all measuring equipment in the section are properly maintained and calibrated so as to function to the required accuracy
- Ensure that all equipment maintenance logbooks are checked and updated at all times
- Carry out assay determinations and analyses on the XRF machine, the AAS and other section analysis equipment in order to ensure sustained operational efficiency.
- Monitor all the HSEQ activities in the section, liaising with the relevant HSEQ representatives on all identified anomalies and report findings to the Section Head.
- Monitor all the HSEQ activities in the section liaising with the relevant HSEQ representatives on all identified anomalies so as to help implement and maintain the requirements of the Mopani Quality Environmental Health Safety Management Systems and compliant to ISO 9001,ISO 14001 and ISO45001 standards
- Communicate effectively with superior’s surbonates and relevant personnel to achieve the co-operation to achieve the co-operation required for operational efficiency.
- In the absence of the Section Head supervise the laboratory activities and report any anomalies to the Department Head (Superintendent) for further guidance and action.
- Carry out any other work assigned by the Sectional Head or Superintendent-Analytical Services.
To be considered for this position, the candidate should meet the following minimum requirements:
- Grade 12 Certificate or equivalent
- BSc Degree in Chemistry or equivalent from a recognizable university
- Minimum 2 years’ experience a mining laboratory.
- Computer literacy and Technical report writing skills.
- Sampling and sample preparation of mining process control and environmental control samples is an added advantage
- Fluent in both written and spoken English
- Must have knowledge of LIMS and SHEQ Systems (ISO 90001:ISO14001:ISO17025:OHSAS18001)
- Experience and knowledge in the calibration of measuring equipment such as electronic balances conductivity and PHI meters Atomic Absorption Spectrometers(AAs) XRF machines and Potentiometric Titrators
The successful candidate must be result oriented and have the ability to work with own initiative, ability to understand scope of work, paying particular attention to Company policies and Corporate objectives.
Mopani is committed to establishing a winning team and a copper and cobalt business it can be proud of. The Company operates an employment policy of meritocracy, aiming to employ the right people with the right skill, irrespective of race, gender or creed.
Applicants who are interested, suitably qualified, and experienced should submit their application no later than 12 January 2024. The application should include contact phone numbers, a detailed curriculum vitae (limited to three pages or less), and contact information for three referees who can be contacted. Additionally, certified copies of all credentials should be provided.
Female applicants that meet the above qualifications are encouraged to apply. Full confidentiality guaranteed. Please note that only short-listed applicants will be responded to.