We are looking for someone who can assist in our Clearing and Forwarding Department for our Zambian Operations.
Hours: Monday to Friday plus alternate Saturday mornings
Responsibilities and Duties
- Calculating and processing duties and taxes to be paid and may be required to sign documents under a Power of Attorney on behalf of clients.
- Pay, or arrange for payment of taxes and duties.
- Liaising with Customers.
- Entering details onto specialized customs software including ASYCUDA WORLD
- Allocating the correct licence depending on type of goods being imported.
- Attending meetings with Customs Officials in the application of duty refunds and tariff re-classification as appropriate.
- Assist with any appeals that are forthcoming.
- Will be required to be fully conversant with import, export, transit and transhipment laws and regulations.
- Expected to maintain his/her understanding of the Zambian customs regulations and keep up-to-date with changes as they occur, so as to be able to advise customers on import and export restrictions, tariff systems, insurance requirements and all other customs related matters.
- Post bonds for the products being imported or assist clients in obtaining bonds.
- Bond management and validation procedures.
- Prepare the necessary import documentation such as certificates of origin and cargo control documents.
- Required to liaise with officials in various agencies to ensure goods are cleared through customs or quarantine.
- Ensure that correct values are used during declaration and other related procedures to avoid losses that may accrue as a result of penalties.
- Establish and maintain a working relationship with customs and other government officials
- Advise the management on correct and most preferred course of action to overcome technicalities that may arise in declaration or clearing operations.
- Perform any other relevant duties that may be assigned by the supervisor within the scope of the position.
Qualifications and Skills
- Post certificate in clearing and forwarding or similar field of study.
- 3 years’ experience in doing declarations
- IT Literate, specifically on all MS Office applications and data management systems.
- Logistics / Service Support experience
- Innovative and creative thinking
- Excellent customer management skills
- Strong initiative and problem-solving techniques
- Strong leadership and influencing Skills
- Strong Communication Skills
To apply for this job please visit www.alistairgroup.com.