Website Centre for Infectious Disease Research in Zambia (CIDRZ)
Business Development Manager Ref No. BD/GC/31/08/21
Reports to Head of Business Development, Strategy, Grants and Contracts. The incumbent supports the sustainability of CIDRZ through the implementation of business development through acquisition of competitive funding by playing central role in soliciting, coordinating and supporting development of successful funding proposals. Leads conceptualization, and adaptation of industry standard approaches to identifying new grant/contract opportunities, market intelligence, vetting and relationship building with potential partners and internal proposal team development. This role will also support the development and spearhead the implementation of the organizations knowledge management strategy, establishing communities of practice that they will be responsible for supporting and reporting on to the Head of Business Development/Strategy and Chief Scientific Officer. As part of this role this position will also support developing and packaging information for communication.
- Coordinates and Supports grant development strategies; from identifying new opportunities, development of proposal calendars and tracking lists, including compilation of various components of proposals, reviewing of technical inputs from technical leads, and quality controlling the entire proposal document.
- Manages of proposal workflow, including management of senior level staff to ensure adherence to timelines are adhered to and relevant reviews approved prior to submission.
- Supports the development of logic models, proposal outlines and assisting with editing and writing documents to a very high standard
- Reviews draft proposals, budgets, and supporting materials against requirements to ensure all guidelines are followed and all materials are in appropriate formats and files.
- Updates and constantly enhances repository of standard documentation
- Manages and maintains supporting documentation and provides editing to ensure consistent and professional formatting of all materials (e.g., job descriptions and CVs).
- Periodic review of the CIDRZ funding portfolio and assess risks or success in the funding pipeline.
- Supports development of business plans, fundraising and implementation of revenue generating activities in close liaison with the Finance department.
- Assists internal research and program teams identify needs and potential academic and other partners at the early proposal stage
- Supports Annual Reports to ensure correct and aligned reporting of programs and focus is in line with our future strategy
- Develops an understanding of the strengths and weaknesses of potential local and international partners and builds strong and trusting relationships.
- Searches for and reviews new funding sources and opportunities and share with appropriate technical teams
- Pursues partnership opportunities with private sector partners with a view to securing Public Private Partnerships to leverage donor funding
- Supports the development of the knowledge management (KM) strategy
- Coordinates the implementation of the KM strategy, supporting identified communities of practice. This may include facilitating workshops, informal interactions,
- Co-ordinates and manages central institutional capacity documents
- Working with the Training Unit, supports identification of key resource gaps and development clear mentoring and mentorship processes to fill the gaps
- Leads training sessions for Junior investigators on grant writing and provides one on one support and mentorship
- Master’s Degree in Public Health or other relevant field
- Demonstrated impeccable English skills including writing and grammar. A writing sample will be requested during the interview process.
- At least 5 years’ relevant work experience in proposal development, with experience leading proposal development from cradle to award.
- Excellent proposal writing, communication, leadership, and interpersonal skills supported by strong references from proposal developments.
- Experience with logic models, creation of outlines for a variety of funders including but not limited to USAID, CDC, NIH, Gates Foundation, UKRI, MRC.
- Good marketing and business development skills
- Excellent networks within the Non-Governmental and Development
- Finance Sectors will be an advantage
- Prior experience in Fund Raising activities will be an advantage, in particular with governments including EU, US Government (CDC and USAID) and foundations.
Suitably qualified candidates are invited to apply; however only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Please send application letter quoting Reference Number above, relevant academic and professional certificates, and detailed CV with day-time telephone number(s) to:
CIDRZ Human Resources Director P. O. Box 34681, LUSAKA or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Find Zambia Jobs – The best job board for Jobs in Zambia
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.