Zambia Institute for Policy Analysis and Research (ZIPAR)
The Zambia Institute for Policy Analysis and Research (ZIPAR) is the leading Think Tank in Zambia, with a distinctly international character. The think tank provides an environment for creative thinking and conducting policy analysis and research, promotes dialogue and advocacy and delivers capacity building and training. Overtime, the Institute has grown to become a critical reference in the social and economic policy discourse in Zambia. To support the Executive Director to effectively engage with stakeholders to promote evidence-based policies in a sustainable manner, ZIPAR seeks a dynamic, entrepreneurial and experienced person to fill the position of Business Development Manager to complement its policy analysis and research team.
Under the supervision of the Executive Director, the Business Development Manager will drive the commercial position of policy analysis and research. In doing so, the Business Development Manager will be expected to work closely with the Research, the Knowledge Management and Finance and Administration functions to render business intelligence into business cases as detailed in the main duties below.
Key Result Area and Main Duties
1. Sustained growth in revenue from consultancy services.
- Set and achieve revenue targets;
- Develop and regularly update ZIPAR’s institutional profile
- Maintain and grow the existing business portfolio by closing new business deals with existing and potential clients;
- Proactively identify potential partners and initiate and maintain strong contacts with them;
- Lead the commercialisation of ZIPAR’s innovations, intellectual property and services and build market positioning by defining them according to Client needs;
- Maintain a database of existing and potential business partners and carry out cold calling, ensuring that the number of calls meets call targets as set by management;
- Conduct stakeholder surveys to estimate stakeholder needs and goals, to engender institutional learning and innovation;
- Develop negotiating strategies and build a framework (including risks and potentials) for assessing potential business opportunities;
- Lead and coordinate activities for the promotion of ZIPAR services and capabilities;
- Help the business grow social media demand for ZIPAR services and outputs;
- Identify trending issues/ideas by attending relevant events, meeting clients and reviewing publications, and notices;
- Prepare bid documents (proposals and detailed costings) and contract documents for internal reviews prior to negotiation with clients;
- Any other duties as may be assigned by the Executive Director.
2. Delivers an outstanding client experience
- Ensure that ZIPAR business activities comply with legal and ethical standards as well as internal policies and procedures;
- Deliver an excellent client experience at all times, ensuring client needs are met or exceeded;
- Proactively design and implement efficient business processes to service clients and for communicating with account management teams;
- Transition new clients smoothly and successfully to the account management team at all times;
- Ensure complaints are followed up and that satisfactory solutions are obtained for both the customer and ZIPAR; and
- Efficiently manage and resolve disputes with Clients;
3. Works in collaboration with the team, developing good working relationships
- Build synergistic working relations with other parties both internally and externally
- Design an appropriate information management system that allows for sharing of client information and insights, discussion of ideas and helping account management teams to achieve common goals;
- Evaluate business options, prioritise and determine the optimal resource allocation to prioritized options;
- Keeping accurate record of individual contributors to business development and their accomplishments;
4. Ensures compliance with ZIPAR values, policies and procedures, and ensures compliance will all local statutory requirements.
- Adherence to institutional values, policies and procedures and the Institute’s Code of Conduct;
- Adherence to workplace health and safety requirements and either addresses or brings to management’s attention when others are in danger or in breach of these requirements;
- Act in an ethical way when dealing with institutional assets and other people.
Required Attributes and Competences
- Good grasp of contemporary current social and economic development issues;
- Capable of undertaking typical research and analyses;
- Experience with preparation of bids (at least 3 successful project bids)
- Computer literacy – good Microsoft Office suite and CRM competences;
- Excellent relationship management skills;
- Excellent organisational and time management skills;
- A confident negotiator with proven ability to close business deals;
- Self-motivated, innovative, team player and results driven;
- Attention to detail and ability to work under pressure;
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written;
- Fluency in the English language; and
- Knowledge ZIPAR’s portfolio of outputs and services;
Qualifications and work experience
- A Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Economics or Associate member of the Chartered Institute of Management Accountants (CIMA).
- A business related Master’s Degree such as a Master of Business Administration (MBA) is preferred
- At least 5 years of work experience in Business Development;
- At least 2 years of work experience in a research or related organization; and
- Member of the Zambia Institute of Marketing.
How to Apply
Interested candidates who meet the above requirements should submit their applications, electronically, with supporting documentation all in a single attachment to [email protected]:
The applications should be clearly marked with job title and applicant’s name hyphenated, i.e., Business Development Manager – Paris Zambezi, as the subject of the email and should be addressed to:
The Executive Director
Zambia Institute for Policy Analysis and Research
P.O. Box 50782
ZIPAR is an equal opportunity employer. Women are encouraged to apply. Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
6th September, 2021
Find Zambia Jobs – The best job board for Jobs in Zambia
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org.