Powerhouse Media Group Inc
As a broadcast journalist, your role is rooted in communication, finding stories and bringing them to the public quickly in a coherent and engaging way.
Broadcast journalists research, investigate and present news and current affairs content for television, radio and online. Their aim is to present information in a balanced, accurate and interesting way through news bulletins, documentaries and other factual programmes.
Although duties and responsibilities vary from role to role and between radio, television and the digital media, as a broadcast journalist you’ll be involved in many of the following duties:
- generating ideas for stories and features and following leads from news agencies, the police, the public, press conferences and other sources
- pitching ideas to the News Editor(s)
- researching, verifying and collating evidence and information to support a story using relevant information sources such as the internet, archives, databases, etc.
- writing scripts for bulletins, headlines and reports
- selecting appropriate locations, pictures and sound and exercising editorial judgment on the best angle from which to approach a story
- using portable digital video (DV) cameras and/or other audio equipment to record material
- producing complete packages for broadcast
- understanding and complying with media law and industry codes of conduct.
You’ll need to show evidence of the following:
- an interest in people, news, current affairs and good general knowledge
- excellent written and oral communication skills
- confidence in front of a camera or microphone and an ‘on air’ presence
- an understanding of relevant technical equipment and editing software
- the ability to work under pressure, both within teams and individually
- outstanding analytical skills and ability to absorb, extract and present information in a clear and understandable way
- the ability to build rapport and to handle interactions with sensitivity, empathy and diplomacy, while maintaining impartiality
- excellent interviewing and listening skills
- an eye for a story, with an ability to generate original ideas and the confidence to pitch to senior editors
- tenacity, persistence, resourcefulness and creative problem-solving skills.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 5th February 2024