Job title: Advocacy and Communications Officer
Location: WWF Zambia Field office- Mazabuka, Zambia
Reports to: Programme Manager – Voices for Climate Action- Zambia programme with dotted line to WWF Zambia Communications Manager and head of Advocacy and strategic Partnerships
Contract Tenure: 2 years
WWF Zambia and its consortium partners (Hivos Zambia, South North- SSN, Akina Mama, and Slum Dwellers International – SDI) are implementing a five-year climate adaptation programme covering 10 Districts around Lusaka and the lower Kafue landscape. The programme focuses on building a just transition to a low carbon and climate resilient future for Zambia through stimulating strong civil society leadership in climate adaptation and local resilience building, largely at the grass root level through advocacy.
WWF Zambia seeks the services of an Advocacy and Communications officer for the Voices for Climate Action programme (VCA) to support the delivery of the advocacy and communications functions.
PURPOSE OF THE JOB:
The job holder will lead the implementation of the advocacy and communications strategies for the Voices of Climate action programme (VCA) at field level, working in partnership with WWF Zambia’s field partners and other stakeholders to achieve desired programme outcomes on climate action in the Kafue flats.
Major Responsibilities :
- In liaison with the programme team , develop a clear advocacy and communications strategy and plan for the VCA programme
- Work with partner organizations in implementing the advocacy and communications plan for the voices for climate action programme in Zambia
- Mobilize media media partnerships and promote effective media advocacy for climate at the district and national levels
- Organise online and offline media events, messages and presskit
- work with partner organizations to develop a clear engagement plan for climate key moments to promote the climate agenda under the VCA programme
- Generate key campaigns on climate to support local movement building activities
- Support development of innovative content for the VCA programme to be used for campaign , lobbying and advocacy activities at both field and national levels
- Develop policy briefs and position papers
- Support in analyzing key policy documents on Climate action and package these for advocacy
- Develop, implement, manage and monitor digital campaigns that reach WWF target audiences
- Supervise and create TOR for media agencies contracted to support program
- Develop social media advocacy and campaigning platforms and relevant assets
- Produce field stories and documentaries for amplified story telling of local voices for climate impact
- produce monthly newsletters
- generate a photo bank for key programme interventions for the VCA programme
- secure TV, Radio and other media platforms for programme visibility
- lead engagement on the programme’s participation in relevant national commemorative events or days and maintain high visibility
- Support joint communications of the VCA alliance members-joint media statements, joint public events, joint advocacy meetings and position papers
- Create, review & edit content for publication across various platforms (print, digital, electronic mediums).
- Manage WWF Zambia’s social media channels to maintain & increase digital presence
- Support the development of key communications assets for fundraising purposes
- Support the monitoring of media mentions for the VCA programme and generate monthly reports for showing coverage using the meltwater application
- Manage VCA digital content on WWF Zambia’s website
- Efficiently coordinate and adequately prepare media engagement for WWF Zambia Country Director, Executive team and
- Prepare communication report for donors.
Internal: Interacts regularly with staff within WWF Zambia and WWF NL , specifically with staff responsible for the VCA programme
Interacts with members of the communications task team under the JPT
Interacts with Alliance members and their advocacy & communications focal points of the VCA programme in Zambia.
External: Interacts with government departments, research centers, universities and others.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications or a relevant development field. Masters is an added advantage
- 3 years of successful communications management experience
- Strong advocacy experience with traceable references for impact – this is a must
- At least 3 years’ experience in managing creative / production processes and preferably experience with successful 360 degree campaigns (including; ATL, BTL, video, TV, radio, media, PR, digital, budgets);
- Strong planning and coordination skills for effective communications
- Excellent writing skills , presentation skills and public speaking skills
- Video production skills
- Proven knowledge of working effectively across a range of media platforms and network
- Demonstrated interest and commitment to sustainable natural resource management;
- Driver’s license.
Required Skills and Competences
- Demonstrated project management experience and the ability to work independently and/or with minimal supervision;
- Ability to perform in a deadline-driven, high pressure environment;
- Solid written and grammatical skills, and strong attention to detail;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to network, develop and maintain strong relationships with private sector, government officials and donor agencies;
- Experience working effectively in partnership arrangements;
- Knowledge of Microsoft applications.
How to apply?
- Email a cover letter and Curriculum Vitae clearly indicating the position applied for to firstname.lastname@example.org. Kindly note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Deadline for receiving applications is 21st July, 2021.
Find Zambia Jobs – The best job board for Jobs in Zambia
To apply for this job email your details to email@example.com.